Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Its time for republican to concede a bit

Default Its time for republican to concede a bit

If the Dem's are really offering substantial cuts in spending that includes medicare then the republicans need to come to the table with to tax concessions in order to get a deal done. I think it is more important to get spending under control but in order to get you have to give. They dont have to cave and raise tax rates 15% but they need to allow for some additional revenue or they need to concede spending cuts in the military.

On the other hand the Dem's need to realize that offering some spending cuts now in order to get the debt ceiling raised does not satisfy what needs to be done long term and the new budget needs to have far more substantial cuts in it. But for right now I think they need to compromise.

Default Re: Its time for republican to concede a bit

The simple act of letting the Bush tax cut expire goes a long way to addressing the short term debt crisis.
    They were supposed to be temporary and that is why they are due to expire next year.

Long term, health care costs and entitlement cuts need to happen and the Dem have to accept that.

I think there also should be a modest tax rate increase across the board. Everyone should share in the sacrifice.
    Last edited by ODH; 07-06-2011 at 12:44 PM.

How about making those who pay no taxes roughly 50% of the population pay at least a minimum tax say 200 dollars a year do you think that would help the issue. I do there is no reason that some people should not pay any taxes none.

Pretty good op-ed on this from Robert Samuelson a couple days ago: Radicals, reactionaries and an unhappy Fourth - The Washington Post

I'm more liberal than he is, so not a fan of the way he frames top 10% already paying too many taxes considering the enormous and growing wage disparity that makes that statistic not particularly meaningful. Still, this is a moderate perspective that I think most Americans identify with and it's why both sides of Congress are polling at such incredibly low numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by bwh27 View Post
    Pretty good op-ed on this from Robert Samuelson a couple days ago: Radicals, reactionaries and an unhappy Fourth - The Washington Post

I'm more liberal than he is, so not a fan of the way he frames top 10% already paying too many taxes considering the enormous and growing wage disparity that makes that statistic not particularly meaningful. Still, this is a moderate perspective that I think most Americans identify with and it's why both sides of Congress are polling at such incredibly low numbers.
    the wage gap is large and so is the gap between who pays taxes and who does not

I will continue to call for a progressive tax system that eliminates all deductions and mandates that everyone pay. Lower the tax rates simplify the tax code, if you make so much money this is how much you owe end of story no debate no loopholes.

I can not get over the fact that the government caused the problem, but they want "rich" people to pay for it. Government spending on both sides of the aisle caused this. Donald Trump or Warren Buffet aren't the reason we are in debt, so why should they have to pay for it? Saying that is "only fair" is ridiculous IMO. I think it is only fair to tax everyone the same rate, including businesses, and spend within your means.

Medicare, Medicaid, SS and welfare all need to be addressed, too. Grandfather some people in medicare, medicaid and SS. Pick an age or date of birth for a cut off and be done with it. Welfare should only last like unemployment. After that I think charity will help a lot more and I also believe people will try to work instead of just taking the check.

I know it sounds crazy but that's how we did it for a couple hundred years and it seemed to work just as well as handouts.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    How about making those who pay no taxes roughly 50% of the population pay at least a minimum tax say 200 dollars a year do you think that would help the issue. I do there is no reason that some people should not pay any taxes none.
    Something like this would be a symbolic gesture and wouldn't make much of any difference.

If half the roughly 300 million people in the US pay $200/year you'd end up with around 30 billion dollars, which (someone should check my math) is less and 1% of the 2011 deficit. And it isn't half of the population who don't pay federal income tax, it's half of income earners, so the amount raised would be even less.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    The simple act of letting the Bush tax cut expire goes a long way to addressing the short term debt crisis.
    They were supposed to be temporary and that is why they are due to expire noext year.
    We're currently borrowing 40 cents per every dollar spent, a 3% increase (or letting a 3% cut expire) would barely register as a drop in the bucket.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Just about everyone pays taxes. Almost 50% of the population pays no FEDERAL INCOME tax. That almost everyone pays about the same percentage of their income in taxes. For the rich, income taxes are the amin cost, for the poor there sales taxes etc. that can be burdonsome for someone with little money.

I am for shared sacrifce and believe all but the poorest should be paying at least a little in income taxes. I think the poverty level is about $12,000 for a single person, so after the first $12,000 start taxing at a low percentage.

However, the truth is that most of the money will have to come from the rich becasue of the saem reason people rob banks - that where the money is.