Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Stewart On Fox News

Hybrid View

Default John Stewart On Fox News

Last week John Stewart was on Fox News Sunday, a show I watch every Sunday and a show that I think is credible. What bothers me about having Stewart on is that every time he goes on a news show especially a "conservative" show the hosts of the show try to give him an accreditation or validation that he does not seek. Stewart is a comedian doing satire on Comedy central, he is not a news anchor or a reporter. I like the daily show but I dont give it any legitimate political thought because I dont view it as a a legit political show. Stewart was complimentary of fox news Sunday and its host saying that he thought they were fair and tough on all guests ,right or left. Stewart repeatedly said that he was not a news person but a comedian yet the host insisted that he had some responsibility to the news.

I did find it funny that Stewart seemed to get frustrated and stated that fox news viewers were the most misinformed a statement which was later deemed false by politifact.com

So I guess my question is, why do news organizations attempt to legitimise Stewart and also do you think that Stewart has any type of responsibility in today's political environment other than his satire. He isn't Bill Mahr who thinks himslef an actual political analyst.

Default Re: John Stewart On Fox News

Believe it or not, a WHOLE LOT of the younger generation get their news from him. 18-24yr olds consider him legit. I know he doesn't want to be considered legit, but that is what's going on.

Saturday Night Live is another one. Sarah Palin never said she could see Russia from her back porch. That was Tina Fey. But it is widely considered a Sarah Palin quote. What she really said was that you could see Russia while still standing in Alaska. And that is a true statement.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Believe it or not, a WHOLE LOT of the younger generation get their news from him. 18-24yr olds consider him legit. I know he doesn't want to be considered legit, but that is what's going on.

Saturday Night Live is another one. Sarah Palin never said she could see Russia from her back porch. That was Tina Fey. But it is widely considered a Sarah Palin quote. What she really said was that you could see Russia while still standing in Alaska. And that is a true statement.
    Do you believe that he has a responsibility to his audience to report accurate news then. OR could it be that his viewers are not really interested in being informed by a real news organization. Clearly he is a liberal and he doesn't hide it, so I dont think he could do real news commentary, he could be a Rachel Maddow or Sean Hannity type but he seems to dislike them. Even when he was on The Maddow show he baulked at the idea that she and he were the same and said that it was a sad state of affairs if she thought as much.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post

Agree with your general point, but so long as we're discussing comedy the real Palin quote was already a caricature in context. She was asked about her foreign policy credentials and said she could see Russia from Alaska, whether it's possible to see Russia or not, that is an AWESOME (and insane) answer. Don't care if she was being "folksy" and not 100% serious, that quote was a gem.

No, I don't think he has any responsibility to report real news. The dude has a comedy show. It is people's own responsibility to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I did find it funny that Stewart seemed to get frustrated and stated that fox news viewers were the most misinformed a statement which was later deemed false by politifact.com
    There's a little more to this story though. The original politifact article: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...news-are-most/ was not received particularly well. More importantly, they felt compelled to address the issue afterwards and more or less concede that they failed to distinguish between the words "uninformed" and "misinformed," only using polls that evaluated the former. May seem inconsequential, but if you're going to analyze someone's quote in depth then the details matter. Link: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...e-jon-stewart/
    Stewart's response to Politifact - PolitiFact | Jon Stewart, Fox News & PolitiFact

I basically agree with what you're saying UGLY. I'm not a fan of Fox News personally, but respect Chris Wallace as one of the better interview journalists out there and he didn't look good here. It's no doubt frustrating for some that Stewart has such immense influence yet has the convenient journalistic out of being a comedian first and foremost - but it happens to be true. It's certainly up to debate, however I personally agree with Stewart that it's a false equivalency to compare Fox's activist bias with MSNBC on the other side. The liberal shows are biased too and some of them are quite poor journalism, but they do not engage in the same level of controlling the narrative in a deliberately dishonest way. It is true that FOX has been rated as having misinformed viewers which is striking considering they have some of the least uninformed viewers. You may disagree with those polls, but endlessly criticizing Bush for everything he ever does is an opinion (albeit a simplistic and biased one) whereas FOX engages in straight up lies far more than any other news program. If we want to use Politifact as an objective source then their archives clearly show this.

Quote Originally Posted by bwh27 View Post
    There's a little more to this story though. The original politifact article: PolitiFact | Jon Stewart says those who watch Fox News are the "most consistently misinformed media viewers" was not received particularly well. More importantly, they felt compelled to address the issue afterwards and more or less concede that they failed to distinguish between the words "uninformed" and "misinformed," only using polls that evaluated the former. May seem inconsequential, but if you're going to analyze someone's quote in depth then the details matter. Link: PolitiFact | Readers say we were uninformed about Jon Stewart's claim
    Stewart's response to Politifact - PolitiFact | Jon Stewart, Fox News & PolitiFact

I basically agree with what you're saying UGLY. I'm not a fan of Fox News personally, but respect Chris Wallace as one of the better interview journalists out there and he didn't look good here. It's no doubt frustrating for some that Stewart has such immense influence yet has the convenient journalistic out of being a comedian first and foremost - but it happens to be true. It's certainly up to debate, however I personally agree with Stewart that it's a false equivalency to compare Fox's activist bias with MSNBC on the other side. The liberal shows are biased too and some of them are quite poor journalism, but they do not engage in the same level of controlling the narrative in a deliberately dishonest way. It is true that FOX has been rated as having misinformed viewers which is striking considering they have some of the least uninformed viewers. You may disagree with those polls, but endlessly criticizing Bush for everything he ever does is an opinion (albeit a simplistic and biased one) whereas FOX engages in straight up lies far more than any other news program. If we want to use Politifact as an objective source then their archives clearly show this.
    I would say that when you ask opinion questions in a supposed fact based poll the poll is skewed and should not hold any merit. I also would like to point out that there are opinion people and news people on fox, Bill Oreilly is opinion just like Maddow, these people do not count as news people to me. When it comes to the news I think many of the vastly liberal media find fox viewers misinformed or uniformed because as Wallace says they tell the other side of the story, the side that does not always support Obama or the Dems. I dont like any lies to be told but the left did to Bush just as much as the right does it to Obama. I think the spotlight is put on Fox because they are the only news orginization that tells the conservative side. I also think that the other cable and news media try to discredit Fox beacuse the cable audience watches Fox news far more than they watch the other cable news channels.

Stewart is funny and should not in my mind be taken seriously.

Well, I was wrong we apparently don't agree as much as I thought. The ratings argument is like the sophisticated version of hip-hop fans responding to any criticism of awful rappers like 50 Cent, etc with "you just hatin' 'cause he makin' more money than you and he sell the most records!" Does the fact that they have more viewers have significance? As Stewart points out, from a business model perspective it absolutely does, Fox News' success has had a big influence on the development of other news programs - IMO mostly in a bad way. But Fox does plenty to merit being discredited that has nothing to do with their ratings. Again, you're drawing a false equivalency with the Bush-Obama comparison - it's true that the left wing criticized W just as much as the right wing criticizes Obama today and fringe people spread ridiculous lies like W's responsibility for 9/11, Obama being a Kenyan-born terrorist sympathizer, etc However, FOX News (including their "news people") has been consistently and deliberately dishonest which is not the same as just "showing the conservative side." I don't think there are many good journalists on network television left, but FOX's supposed news people (not Hannity, O'Reilly, etc) have been consistently found to tell lies which just doesn't happen nearly as often with the non-opinion people on other networks. If you want to chalk that up to just the liberal media being jealous of FOX's ratings no matter who does the poll then we're never going to find much common ground. That's analogous with people dismissing outright the fact that 97% of climatologists confirm the existence of global warming simply because scientists tend to be liberals - the implication being that until 100% of all scientists agree then I'm going to let my political ideology determine what evidence I pay attention to.

Stewart should not be taken seriously as a journalist, sure, but you don't take his arguments seriously in this interview? He wiped the floor with Chris Wallace in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bwh27 View Post
    Well, I was wrong we apparently don't agree as much as I thought. The ratings argument is like the sophisticated version of hip-hop fans responding to any criticism of awful rappers like 50 Cent, etc with "you just hatin' 'cause he makin' more money than you and he sell the most records!" Does the fact that they have more viewers have significance? As Stewart points out, from a business model perspective it absolutely does, Fox News' success has had a big influence on the development of other news programs - IMO mostly in a bad way. But Fox does plenty to merit being discredited that has nothing to do with their ratings. Again, you're drawing a false equivalency with the Bush-Obama comparison - it's true that the left wing criticized W just as much as the right wing criticizes Obama today and fringe people spread ridiculous lies like W's responsibility for 9/11, Obama being a Kenyan-born terrorist sympathizer, etc However, FOX News (including their "news people") has been consistently and deliberately dishonest which is not the same as just "showing the conservative side." I don't think there are many good journalists on network television left, but FOX's supposed news people (not Hannity, O'Reilly, etc) have been consistently found to tell lies which just doesn't happen nearly as often with the non-opinion people on other networks. If you want to chalk that up to just the liberal media being jealous of FOX's ratings no matter who does the poll then we're never going to find much common ground. That's analogous with people dismissing outright the fact that 97% of climatologists confirm the existence of global warming simply because scientists tend to be liberals - the implication being that until 100% of all scientists agree then I'm going to let my political ideology determine what evidence I pay attention to.

Stewart should not be taken seriously as a journalist, sure, but you don't take his arguments seriously in this interview? He wiped the floor with Chris Wallace in my opinion.
    I believe it is a fact that the other news agencies have it in their best interest to attempt to discredit fox news in order to build their own brand. I dont watch the fox cable news, I only watch fox news sunday which I believe is the best sunday news program on television, while watching fox cable news other than the opinion people I dont believe I have heard an outright lie. Its funny you bring up global warming, because I dont know a lot of people who are saying the earth isnt experiencing climate change they only question whether or not it is man made and there are plenty of reputable scientist who believe it is not. The left did lie forever about Bush's service record and I am not a supporter of bush.

The fact is and wallace today provided some evidence that polls that were supposed to be based on knowledge had opinion questions in them and if you gave the wrong opinion then you were considered misinformed, that is a false premise for a fact based poll no matter how you cut it.Chris Wallace Fires Back at Jon Stewart: 'I Guess the Joke Is on' Him (Video) - Hollywood Reporter

I also just looked at a poll by the university of maryland and some of the questions asked I have never heard a fox news person say so I dont know where they would have gotten the idea for some of the answers.