Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: John Stewart On Fox News

Default Re: John Stewart On Fox News

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    bwh27, I am not trying to provoke any fight here. But, to suggest that MSNBC or Jon Stewert don't hate FOX news is silly. They will even tell you they HATE it. They aren't trying to hide that fact. Which only makes me think that they (MSNBC) are trying to hide something else. I love the hypocrasy when a news station like that says that conservatives are hateful people, but then shout down any republican congressman or state rep just for being conservative. If they were so caring, they would see both sides. They don't. They are hypocrites, IMO. The right doesn't see both sides either, but at least they don't pretend to. Anthony Weiner is a prime example of this.

I admit to being a conservative, but if I had to label a party I mostly agree with, it would be Libertarian. I don't care what people do with their private lives. But if you ask me to vote on something, I will vote with my faith. Doesn't make me evil. Liberals need to learn that.
    First of all, not sure why you're grouping MSNBC and Stewart together since I didn't. And no, I have never heard Stewart say that he "hates" FOX News, please point me to some evidence beyond facial expressions if you find my perspective to be so silly. Did you see his appearance on Crossfire in which he brutally criticized both conservative Tucker Carlson and liberal Paul Begala because their show sucks, not because he "hates" them or "hates" their ideology. He was much more impassioned and frustrated during that appearance than he was during this recent Chris Wallace interview. If we're going to assume that he hates FOX just because he is extremely critical of them then that means he hates all news. Again, not sure why you bring up MSNBC and as I previously mentioned on this thread I really dislike the majority of their programming - so any journalist who is shouting down a conservative guest is just not accomplishing anything and not worth watching. However, since we were talking about Stewart can you cite an example of him "shouting down" conservative guests? You have a huge sample to choose from, so if he's such a hateful person then you should be able to cite a bunch of examples.

Also, why the sweeping statements like "liberals need to learn that" and the right isn't hypocritical but the left is? It always bothers me when people attribute close-mindedness or hypocrisy only to one side or the other. Both sides can be equally close-minded and the hypocrisy that will bother you will be when you disagree with it, but it's just as rampant on both sides. Are liberals really more guilty than conservatives of resorting to ad hominem instead of accepting differing ideologies or making extreme statements such as that the other side is evil? For example, extremes on both sides incite Hitler/Nazis and it's just as stupid either time.

Quinn

My dad does not study global warming specifically, but I'll ask if I get the chance. What I've heard is that the rate of climate change currently happening is much faster than what has currently happened as the result of natural cycles. There is no doubt that natural forces play a role in climate as well, and that man-made and natural can be hard to seperate from each other. But that doesn't mean mankind cannot play a role. But hey, I'd love to be wrong

If I remember my science training correctly the ozone layer hole is a different problem, caused by CFC's rather than carbon dioxide... and that it is getting smaller now since CFC's are no longer widely used?

Some discussion of the ozone: It's ozone

Quote Originally Posted by bwh27 View Post
    First of all, not sure why you're grouping MSNBC and Stewart together since I didn't. And no, I have never heard Stewart say that he "hates" FOX News, please point me to some evidence beyond facial expressions if you find my perspective to be so silly. Did you see his appearance on Crossfire in which he brutally criticized both conservative Tucker Carlson and liberal Paul Begala because their show sucks, not because he "hates" them or "hates" their ideology. He was much more impassioned and frustrated during that appearance than he was during this recent Chris Wallace interview. If we're going to assume that he hates FOX just because he is extremely critical of them then that means he hates all news. Again, not sure why you bring up MSNBC and as I previously mentioned on this thread I really dislike the majority of their programming - so any journalist who is shouting down a conservative guest is just not accomplishing anything and not worth watching. However, since we were talking about Stewart can you cite an example of him "shouting down" conservative guests? You have a huge sample to choose from, so if he's such a hateful person then you should be able to cite a bunch of examples.

Also, why the sweeping statements like "liberals need to learn that" and the right isn't hypocritical but the left is? It always bothers me when people attribute close-mindedness or hypocrisy only to one side or the other. Both sides can be equally close-minded and the hypocrisy that will bother you will be when you disagree with it, but it's just as rampant on both sides. Are liberals really more guilty than conservatives of resorting to ad hominem instead of accepting differing ideologies or making extreme statements such as that the other side is evil? For example, extremes on both sides incite Hitler/Nazis and it's just as stupid either time.
    I only brought up MSNBC as an example of a news organization trying to convince people that FOX are nothing but liars. I will try to find some Stewart quotes on how much he dislikes (maybe not hate) FOX. The part where I said liberals were hypocritical because of their close-mindedness, I believe is true. I also think conservatives are close-minded. The only difference is that they don't try to pretend that they aren't, IMO. Conservatives who don't like something like gay marriage will come out and say it. Doesn't make them right, just makes them less hypocritical. But, then one of them will turn out to be gay and that would be an example of them being hypocritical.

And you are right about the shouting at rallies. Both sides do that. I find it funny that they both call each other Hitler/Nazi. If they think completely differently, then only one side could actually be the Nazi-side.