Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the hell is wrong with the City Council in Cedar Falls?

Default What the hell is wrong with the City Council in Cedar Falls?

Ordinance #2740 ( An unfunded city-wide mandate) was passed with a resounding 6 to 1 vote, and it allows for the citizens of Cedar Falls to forcefully give the government keys to their comercial properties through universal 'lock boxes'.

The intent of the program is to provide increased safety and protection to personal, private property which include businesses, apartments and some rental houses-- which by the way-- comes at the expense of furthering wayward erosion of fundamental constitutional rights.

Default Re: What the hell is wrong with the City Council in Cedar Falls?

Either too many work comp claims for shoulders busting down doors or they're spending waaay too much on 9MM ammo shooting out the locks.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

This would be laughable if it weren't so scary. Not sure how they run their council, but I hope they can be impeached in some way. I would hate for this to set a precedent for other city councils.

I also didn't hear them answer the question of who would be liable if there was a break-in. I'll bet the store owner still would be.

Stuff like this happens by chipping away at it. Slow erosion...then you don't notice it as much (unless you are like these people!)

Animal Farm all over again!

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    What the hell is wrong with the City Council in Cedar Falls?
    Which City Council? The current one expanding it or the one eight years ago (or so) when the original muni code was enacted?

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Stuff like this happens by chipping away at it. Slow erosion...then you don't notice it as much (unless you are like these people!)
    I don't like this muni code but the sudden outrage is amusing. Communities around the country have had very similar ordinances in place for literally years.

[QUOTE=pm01;409238I don't like this muni code but the sudden outrage is amusing. Communities around the country have had very similar ordinances in place for literally years.[/QUOTE]

This is actually the first time I have ever heard of this. Where else does it exist? And do you actually agree with this?

No, I don't totally support or completely oppose the original or expanded version of the original muni code.

But if this muni code is the fast track to erasing the Constitution then since it's been in effect for seven years already one would think the Constitution would be dead by now.

UPDATE: Cedar Falls City Council OKs controversial lock box ordinance

Here's a few other Iowa communities that have similar codes.
    Cedar Falls council green lights more lock boxes - KWWL.com - News & Weather for Waterloo, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids & Iowa City, Iowa |

While quite less inclusive, San Francisco requires owners to install lock boxes on buildings of hazardous or laboratory occupancies.

Oakland, NJ has a very similar ordinance.
    http://70.168.205.112/oakland_nj/lpext.dll/Infobase/oaklandc11.htm?fn=document-frame.htm&f=templates&2.0

There are many communities around the country that require under fire prevention act the installation of lock box or Knox boxes based on the type and use of the structure. Google results will help identify some of them.

PM, I think that you actually helped prove my and KR's point about the government. The article you included says that years ago when they first started the lock boxes, it was just for businesses and there was hardly a peep. Now, seven years later, they are coming back and "updating" the law and will now include apartment buildings with three or more apartments. That is exactly what KR said when he wrote that the slowly chip away until they have total control. And my Animal Farm reference.

If they allow this to happen, what do you think they will go for in seven years from now? Duplexes, houses, storage units? The government never quits expanding once they start. It is up to the citizens to stop them before they start.

I am just wondering about how many people in the cities you referenced actually even know about this. I admit, I knew absolutely nothing about it until I read this thread. I like to think of myself as up to date when it comes to the news, but this is suprising to me. I bet I know more about world and national news than I do my own city. Guess I better get to a few council meetings or I will have no one to blame but myself if this comes to my city.