Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eliminating tax breaks and subsidies for the oil companies.

Default Eliminating tax breaks and subsidies for the oil companies.

On capitol hill they are debating on whether or not they should take away 4billion in tax payers dollars from the oil companies. I say go ahead and do it as long as they take the subsidies away from ethanol, solar and wind energy. Those subsidies equal almost 14 billion between them.

Increase the standards and regulation for drilling but reduce the cost to purchase the rights to drill, that should offset the subsidies.

Allow the best energy solution to succeed or fail on its own with out government help.

Default Re: Eliminating tax breaks and subsidies for the oil companies.

That's CRAZY TALK, Ugly. You can't take away subsidies from solar or wind!! These two entities are going to save us. Never mind the fact that, as of right now, they don't work. Never mind the fact that oil companies will just raise prices to cover whatever tax hike they get and pass it on to us. Never mind the fact that Obama has said he WANTS higher gas prices (just not this quick).

Your ideas of a free market are ridiculous. Just ask Boeing. They have spent millions of dollars in North Carolina to open a new plant. They already have one in Washington, which is a no-income-tax state. This will not replace the one in Washington. Just an expansion. But, since North Carolina is a right-to-work state, the government is trying to stop it. Even though they will have to pay income tax. This is after they've spent the money. This plant is expected to add 8,000 jobs. But somehow, someway, the unions are trying to stop it. Freedom be damned!!

Boeing S.C. plant at heart of labor lawsuit | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    That's CRAZY TALK, Ugly. You can't take away subsidies from solar or wind!! These two entities are going to save us. Never mind the fact that, as of right now, they don't work. Never mind the fact that oil companies will just raise prices to cover whatever tax hike they get and pass it on to us. Never mind the fact that Obama has said he WANTS higher gas prices (just not this quick).

Your ideas of a free market are ridiculous. Just ask Boeing. They have spent millions of dollars in North Carolina to open a new plant. They already have one in Washington, which is a no-income-tax state. This will not replace the one in Washington. Just an expansion. But, since North Carolina is a right-to-work state, the government is trying to stop it. Even though they will have to pay income tax. This is after they've spent the money. This plant is expected to add 8,000 jobs. But somehow, someway, the unions are trying to stop it. Freedom be damned!!

Boeing S.C. plant at heart of labor lawsuit | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment
    Are you making an argument defending tax breaks to big oil? I don't understand what you are saying? Do you think the taxpayer benefits from these tax breaks?
    Do you really big oil will or can raise prices to cover the loss of these tax breaks?

What does Boeing building a plant in S. Carolina have anything to do with this thread? You are starting sound like you are ranting.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    On capitol hill they are debating on whether or not they should take away 4billion in tax payers dollars from the oil companies. I say go ahead and do it as long as they take the subsidies away from ethanol, solar and wind energy. Those subsidies equal almost 14 billion between them.

Increase the standards and regulation for drilling but reduce the cost to purchase the rights to drill, that should offset the subsidies.

Allow the best energy solution to succeed or fail on its own with out government help.
    Let me first start by saying that I completely agree with you in removing governemtn subsidies. Although I would like to know what percentage of the $14 billion subsdies go to wind and solar and what percentage go to ehtanol.

however, there can be a logical argument for the sudsidies for wind and solar, while I don't see one at all for oil.
    GReen enrgy amkes sense environmentally and global-policatically. Rigth now they are not not economically competitive with oil and sometime in the future we will have to find technology to replace oil. Investing in technology now may pay off big time in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Let me first start by saying that I completely agree with you in removing governemtn subsidies. Although I would like to know what percentage of the $14 billion subsdies go to wind and solar and what percentage go to ehtanol.

however, there can be a logical argument for the sudsidies for wind and solar, while I don't see one at all for oil.
    GReen enrgy amkes sense environmentally and global-policatically. Rigth now they are not not economically competitive with oil and sometime in the future we will have to find technology to replace oil. Investing in technology now may pay off big time in the future.
    I believe its 50/50 7 bill ethano 7bill wind and solar.

Oil and all other fossil fuels cost less. Wind is dependent on the wind blowing and must be subsidies by fossil fuels when it is not windy. The solar option takes up thousands of acres in order to produce any signifigant power.

Whe should not subsidise those other alternatives because once they get going we will be in the same position with them as we are now with the oil companies. They will want there money no matter how much profit they make.

I believe its 50/50 7 bill ethano 7bill wind and solar.

Oil and all other fossil fuels cost less. Wind is dependent on the wind blowing and must be subsidies by fossil fuels when it is not windy. The solar option takes up thousands of acres in order to produce any signifigant power.

Whe should not subsidise those other alternatives because once they get going we will be in the same position with them as we are now with the oil companies. They will want there money no matter how much profit they make.
    In general I agree with you, but it seems that no matter if they are started with government funds or not every industries comes to Washington looking for a handout.

I don't think funding the basic research to improve solar/wind/biofuel technology is a bad idea, however.

Are you making an argument defending tax breaks to big oil?
    Yes.
    Do you think the taxpayer benefits from these tax breaks?
    Yes.

Do you really big oil will or can raise prices to cover the loss of these tax breaks?
    Yes.

What does Boeing building a plant in S. Carolina have anything to do with this thread?
    Ugly mentioned that the free market should be left alone to take care of itself. I agree. But the free market is being ripped apart, just like at the Boeing plant. They have no income taxes in Washington, but chose to open a plant in a state that does have income taxes because it is better for business to pay the taxes than being shut down every three years because of a union dispute. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that. Boeing is creating jobs and putting their business where they want, like a free market allows. That was how I got there on this thread.

You are starting sound like you are ranting
    I was.

Oil and all other fossil fuels cost less.
    Cost who less?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    In general I agree with you, but it seems that no matter if they are started with government funds or not every industries comes to Washington looking for a handout.
    Remember when the internet was entirely funded by the government and then when they stopped funding the entire thing started demanding and recieving handouts?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.