Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another sign of government stupidity

Hybrid View

Default Another sign of government stupidity

Check out this article. I guess politicians want our kids to DO NOTHING!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...crease_su.html

Default Re: Another sign of government stupidity

Hey let the liberals run the country and this wont only happen in Albany. The nanny state is coming and the libs are bringing it. I was listening to liberal talk radio and I just could not believe how badly they want the government to run our lives.

This is what the government is telling kids right now, "Kids dont play because that is dangerous, so here is a condom go have sex"

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    This is what the government is telling kids right now, "Kids dont play because that is dangerous, so here is a condom go have sex"
    Where were they 50 years ago, dammit?

I don't always accept the "when we were kids" argument because when we were kids information about much of the preventable harm that came to us wasn't as readily available as it is today, so we only had limited anecdotal information about the hazards of our activities. Still, I agree that the government should only go so far to protect us from ourselves, and often its objectives exceed reasonable limits. Life is risky and it is wise to minimize the risks, but attempts to eliminate them often (sorry, but I must use this expression once again) throw out the baby with the bathwater. Government regulations should be tempered by common sense, but unfortunately common sense isn't all that common.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

The law discribed in the article deals with how 'summer camps' are defined (I'm assuming, though the article didn't state, that it deals with the distinction between 'summer camp' and 'daycare'), nowhere does it say that these activities are too dangerous for kids or that anyone is saying that kids shouldn't do them.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    The law discribed in the article deals with how 'summer camps' are defined (I'm assuming, though the article didn't state, that it deals with the distinction between 'summer camp' and 'daycare'), nowhere does it say that these activities are too dangerous for kids or that anyone is saying that kids shouldn't do them.
    You're kind of missing the point. If you as a parent want to send your kid to a day camp that engages in such dangerous activities like wiffle ball or freeze tag, then you should be able to do that. If you don't want your kid playing these games, then you either don't send them to the camp or you tell the counselors that when these games are being played, you don't want your kid involved. Problem solved. There is no need for the state government to get involved in this. They just keep sticking their noses into every aspect of people's lives as if they know better than everyone else.

I think a permission slip signed by the parents is good enough. They don't need to hire medical staff or pay extra for some goofy license to allow kids to be kids.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    You're kind of missing the point. If you as a parent want to send your kid to a day camp that engages in such dangerous activities like wiffle ball or freeze tag, then you should be able to do that.
    I think you're missing the point. From what the article says about the actual law, it won't do anything to prevent any parent from sending their kids to camp to engage in such dangerous activities as wiffle ball or freeze tag. This law (at least from how it's described in the article) is not telling anybody which games their kids are or aren't allowed to play, it's clarifying definitions of summer camp.

The author of the article is clearly trying to get people to believe that lawmakers are telling people their kids can't play wiffle ball, but what they actually say about the law doesn't match up with that.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

For some reason my post printed twice. This is my attempt to delete the second one.

That picture is hysterical. This is truly INSANE.

The government is clearly trying to cash in on something. By calling these activities dangerous, it changes the way the camps are regulated. That's what they want to do, REGULATE MORE.

Under the new rules, any program that offers two or more organized recreational activities - with at least one of them on the risky list - is deemed a summer camp and subject to state regulation.
    Ritchie said the regulations could cripple small recreational programs, forcing them to pay a $200 fee to register as a summer camp and provide medical staff.

For some reason, people in government think that they need to regulate everything. That is what this is about. I know when I was raising my kids, I didn't have a medical staff following them everywhere they went. I don't think these places need it either. I actually remember locking our door on summer days so that the kids couldn't come in. They climbed trees, played tag, baseball, football, swam, rode bikes and probably caused a little trouble. But, they learned from every thing they did and didn't need a beauracrat to show them anything.

It is just sickning to me, that the government always want there "cut" of something. Or always think they know better.