Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another sign of government stupidity

Default Re: Another sign of government stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    The government is clearly trying to cash in on something. By calling these activities dangerous, it changes the way the camps are regulated.
    From what I read in the article, this law does not, in any way, change how camps are regulated. The is law clarifies the definition of what constitutes a camp. It's unclear if this law increases regulation because the article does not provide specifics on the alternatives. Under this law some entities would now be considered camps, what were they before the law? day-care? What regulations apply to whatever these things would be otherwise? what is the registration fees for them? what 'medical staff' are required (and what constitutes 'medical staff' for a camp)?

The author of the article is clearly trying to get people to think that government is trying tell kids what games they can play (this is clear from the title, reader survey and that any mention of the laws actual contents don't appear until paragraph 7). They are intentionally presenting information in a way to get people to think this way. It's obviously worked on some people.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

[QUOTE=FloggingSully;400130]
    From what I read in the article, this law does not, in any way, change how camps are regulated.
    It changes how they are regulated because they will now BE regulated. It clearly said that they will now be under state regulation. The word "now" means that they weren't before.

It's unclear if this law increases regulation because the article does not provide specifics on the alternatives.
    Well, first off, the alternatives are to leave them be. They have obviously been doing okay up till now. About increased regulation. You have to be able to see beyond your nose. Government is not getting into this to decrease regulation. The article says that they will have to pay a license fee and hire a medical staff. Most of these places probably can't afford to hire a medical staff even if it is just two EMT'S. We don't know what "medical staff" means because they probably haven't defined it yet. All it means is that these places will now have to pay people they can't afford, raise prices or shut down.

Under this law some entities would now be considered camps, what were they before the law?
    They are changing the definition of "day camp" to "summer camp". There is a distinct difference because you go home every night at a day camp. I attended the YMCA day camp for years. My parents would drop me off in the morning and pick me up when they got off work. We were in the woods most of the time, with counselors, but pretty much just being kids. In summer camp, you drop your kids off for a month or so and don't see them until you come to pick them up many weeks later. In that case, you do need a medical staff because parents may be in Europe or in a different state and not able to come pick their kid up if they get sick or hurt. Day camp is much different.

The fact that some people can't see the bigger picture, which is government intruding on all aspects of life, is what amazes me.

It changes how they are regulated because they will now BE regulated. It clearly said that they will now be under state regulation. The word "now" means that they weren't before.
    Well, first off, the alternatives are to leave them be. They have obviously been doing okay up till now.
    Are you saying that these 'recreational programs' which are now going to be classed as 'summer camps' were not regulated in any way previously by the state?

The article says that they will have to pay a license fee and hire a medical staff. Most of these places probably can't afford to hire a medical staff even if it is just two EMT'S.
    Do you believe that non-'summer camp' groups don't pay license fees?
    A lot of places probably can't afford to hire EMTs, or licensed doctors of that's what 'medical staff' means. What if the 'medical staff' requirements is that someone needs to be certified in CPR? What if it means an EMT must be available (but not necessarily on site or employed by the camp) in case of emergency?

We don't know what "medical staff" means because they probably haven't defined it yet.
    The law has been around since 2009, I'm pretty sure that what 'medical staff' means has been established.

They are changing the definition of "day camp" to "summer camp". There is a distinct difference because you go home every night at a day camp. I attended the YMCA day camp for years. My parents would drop me off in the morning and pick me up when they got off work. We were in the woods most of the time, with counselors, but pretty much just being kids.
    I went to a very similar YMCA camp growing up, it was called 'YMCA summer camp' even though we all went home every night. The camp I went to (and I'd bet the one you attended as well) were regulated, and probably had to pay a registration fee, and had to provide kids with medical staff if the need arose.

I don't know if these things were regulated in any way before, but now they are subject to new regulations. These new regulations require them to pay for an extra licencse and medical staff. If "medical staff" only means that people be on call, I would say dial 911. That is obvious. If, in fact, that is all they wanted to do is make sure people call for help when someone gets hurt, what the heck did they think they were doing before? And, how many millions of tax dollars were spent by state congress people's time, paper used, ink for print, blah, blah, blah.............to just say "Call an ambulance when a kid gets hurt"?

As far as the YMCA day camp I went to, I am sure it had regulations. Not one business of this sort would survive without rules and regulations. They would simply lose to the better competitors. But for people like my parents, who both had to work and knew that me and my two sisters NEEDED to be outside acting like kids, that was a great place. If they had to hire medical staff, my parents probably wouldn't have been able to afford it.

I will never believe that just because someone chose a different career path (politics) that they know more than me or anyone else about how to live our lives. Politicians are nothing more than a used car salesman. They both try to talk up their product and sell something for more than it's worth.

An example of why I can never align myself with liberalism. They have been wussifying our country for quite some time. If they had their way, wrestling would be banned.

Thank goodness governor Cuomo showed some balls and reversed it.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Seriously?!? Wiffle ball is dangerous? Freeze tag is dangerous?
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    They have been wussifying our country for quite some time. If they had their way, wrestling would be banned.
    Who tried to ban something?

They banned dodge ball from schools across the country to start off.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    Who tried to ban something?
    Example one:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15316912...news-education

Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

Example two:
    http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20...CLES/902289930

A new federal law bans the sale of off-road vehicles for kids under 12, part of a broader measure aimed at preventing lead poisoning in children.

Example three:
    http://moneywatch.bnet.com/economic-...-toy-ban/1510/

Come 2012, kids in San Francisco will not be getting a free toy with their McDonald’s Happy Meal. The San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors voted earlier this week to ban McDonald’s and all fast food restaurants from plying kids with free toy giveaways on meals that are deemed to be too full of calories, fat, and sodium.

This one may be my favorite. Talk about wussifying our children!!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_121346.html

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more.