Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ill. faces 66 percent tax boost amid budget crisis

Default Ill. faces 66 percent tax boost amid budget crisis

For every 1,000.00 spent last year-the good folk of Illinois will now pay $1,666.00 .

I am starting to believe these clowns WANT the American people to revolt. Then they can kill off the surplus population and fill up ALL the FEMA camps.
    66% THAT is NOT a typo.

Default Re: Ill. faces 66 percent tax boost amid budget crisis

To put that in perspective, the increase puts the Illinois state income tax at 5% which seems pretty middle of the road in terms of state income tax rates
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

I believe that Illinois has one of the highest property taxes in the nation and high taxes overall. Raising taxes does not work ask California.

They just had a state senator from Illinois on the news and he said that the last 5 fiscal years were the 5 best fiscal years of taxpayers giving the state government money in the history of the state. I guess, from what he was saying, is that people running for the state government ran on platforms of cutting spending, but they are trying to cement in spending increases of 17% over the next few years. The way I understood it, this was done by outgoing congress people and he said that they now have a majority by both repubs and dems to try and overturn this. I guess they just took their new jobs this past week.

Funny way to spin a recession.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    They just had a state senator from Illinois on the news and he said that the last 5 fiscal years were the 5 best fiscal years of taxpayers giving the state government money in the history of the state. I guess, from what he was saying, is that people running for the state government ran on platforms of cutting spending, but they are trying to cement in spending increases of 17% over the next few years. The way I understood it, this was done by outgoing congress people and he said that they now have a majority by both repubs and dems to try and overturn this. I guess they just took their new jobs this past week.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    Funny way to spin a recession.
    It is only a recession on the non-government people. Heck, they are still asking for a 17% increase in spending after their 66% raise in taxes. But, people are dumb enough to vote the same idiots back in, so what do you do? I don't live in that state, but hopefully the dude on the news will keep his word. (I actually typed that with a straight face....politician keeping his word.....ha! ha!)

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    It is only a recession on the non-government people. Heck, they are still asking for a 17% increase in spending after their 66% raise in taxes. But, people are dumb enough to vote the same idiots back in, so what do you do? I don't live in that state, but hopefully the dude on the news will keep his word. (I actually typed that with a straight face....politician keeping his word.....ha! ha!)
    Exactly who are you referring to when you say "non-government people"? I am a "government person" - that is, I am a state government employee. I am required to take 3 days a month off - at no pay. However, because we are understaffed, I can't actually take the days off, I have to "bank" them. The catch is, if I don't use them by a specific date, I lose them. So I am required to take them, but not allowed to, and will lose them eventually if I don't take them. So far I have about 95 days of furlough time banked. I'll take 15 days vacation this year - so I can use furlough for that - but I will accrue 36 days this year. How do I use the other 21 days? I will eventually lose them - a 14+% pay cut to help the state meet its financial obligations.
    Along with that, my supervisors can require me to work overtime - a sixteen hour day. They can hold me 2 days in a row (which gives me about 4 hours sleep between shifts), then a regular 8 hour shift, then - if necessary, another 2 in a row. I have had months when I have worked 8 to 10 overtime shifts in a month. Great overtime check, right? If I take a sick day, or a vacation day, or any other time off I get paid straight time for the overtime. So they can force me to work the overtime, then take it away if I take the time I am contractually deserving.
    I figure I have been "donating" around $1000 to $1500 per month to help the state of California balance its budget.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

M.
    Plus-don't you have to sign a no '' negotiation'' contract in case of a riot.? California will NEVER balance the budget any more than the U.S. Will eliminate the trade deficit. Isn't CA also raping the teachers pensions ? I know Indiana has started and will never stop.

This is what I know to be a fact. In CA they have the highest state taxes of all the states and the 9th largest economy in the world and tehy are still going broke. Part of this issue might be because 80% of all tax revenue goes to pay for state employees. That is 80% of the budget that can not be touched by the state government to attempt to balance the budget. That is a serious issue that will not be resolved without concessions from a lot of people. NY is is the same type of scenario and they dont pay their public employees like police and fire a wage that they can live on in NY. We are entering a time when state and federal government needs to reign in spending and perhaps raise taxes a bit in order to keep our nation solvent.