Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 102
Discuss In defense of atheist billboards at the Politics & Religion within the Wrestling Talk Forums; Originally Posted by coachsparky Where does it say that Spider? Did you even bother clicking ...
  1. #10
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    Where does it say that Spider? Did you even bother clicking on the link and looking at the bus that had it on their. It made no mention or reference whatsoever to the Jesus miraculous birth. You are thinking of the other billboard. That is another topic but it also is not disrespectful unless you happen to be a hypersensitive mamby pamby religionist.
    You're right - my bad. I thought you were still talking about the other billboard and I didn't click on the link. I have to do some work now, but I will check it out and get back to you. I do, however, believe that "mamby pamby religionist" is disrespectful.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  2. #11
    NCAA Champ ban basketball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,817

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pull_Hair_out.jpg 
Views:	5813 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	2805
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  3. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    You're right - my bad. I thought you were still talking about the other billboard and I didn't click on the link. I have to do some work now, but I will check it out and get back to you. I do, however, believe that "mamby pamby religionist" is disrespectful.
    I do to Spider and that is why I use it. I believe Christians who consider something like this as an attack and disrespectful are weak and undeserving of respect. A person has to be able to give others the right to state their own beliefs without being offended to earn respect. And after all, that is all the atheist and Coalition for Reason is trying to do, to get their message out so that other like minded people do not feel lonely at this time of year,

    “It can be pretty lonely for a nonbeliever at Christmastime around here. There is so much religion,” Mr. McDonald said. “We thought, ‘What the heck? Nobody owns December.’ ”
    Last edited by coachsparky; 12-14-2010 at 11:09 AM.

  4. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pull_Hair_out.jpg 
Views:	5813 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	2805
    Hey pal, don't pull your hair out. At your age it is thinning fast enough without your help. Relax and enjoy life.

  5. #14
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Sparky, if you are referring to the sign on the bus, "Why believe in god, just be good for goodness sake," I agree that it is not particularly offensive, and the message does kind of tie into the season. I actually think it's pretty clever. As I said before, though, I do understand how someone would take offense to the sign on the tunnel calling the nativity story a myth. I also agree with you that neither one is worth getting bent out of shape over, and I DO see total hypocracy in the minister's statement if he was referring to the sign on the bus.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  6. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Sparky, if you are referring to the sign on the bus, "Why believe in god, just be good for goodness sake," I agree that it is not particularly offensive, and the message does kind of tie into the season. I actually think it's pretty clever. As I said before, though, I do understand how someone would take offense to the sign on the tunnel calling the nativity story a myth. I also agree with you that neither one is worth getting bent out of shape over, and I DO see total hypocracy in the minister's statement if he was referring to the sign on the bus.
    Appreciate your analysis Spider. No matter how much I disagree with being offended by someone stating facts such as the FACT that the nativity story is a myth. Thanks

  7. #16
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    No matter how much I disagree with being offended by someone stating facts such as the FACT that the nativity story is a myth. Thanks
    All I'm going to say is that just because you believe it and I believe it and it makes much more sense than the alternative doesn't necessarily mean it's correct.

    Close that can of worms. It's been discussed here umpteen billion times and nobody's mind has ever changed.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  8. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    All I'm going to say is that just because you believe it and I believe it and it makes much more sense than the alternative doesn't necessarily mean it's correct.

    Close that can of worms. It's been discussed here umpteen billion times and nobody's mind has ever changed.
    This guy, who happens to be a Christian, gets that that story is a myth, I have never heard anyone deny it. Even Christians, know there is no justification for celebrating Christmas at this time of year other then they wanted it to match the Solstice. And there are contradictory stories, was he born in Nazareth or Bethlehem for instance. Almost ALL learned Christian's will concede all that.

    The Christmas stories in the Bible - and they are multiple and contradictory - are obviously myths. They are obviously not to be taken literally. They are meant as signs to the deeper, profounder truth that Christians hold to: that the force behind all that exists actually intervened in the consciousness of humankind in the form of a man so saturated in godliness that merely being near him healed people of the weight of the world's sins. This is so enormous and radical an idea that it is not suprising that early Christian writers told stories to bring it more firmly to life. But they were stories, telling of a deeper more ineffable truth. If only contemporary Christians could let go of the literalism in pursuit of the far more extraordinary fact of the Incarnation
    Last edited by coachsparky; 12-14-2010 at 03:48 PM.

  9. #18
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: In defense of atheist billboards

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    This guy, who happens to be a Christian, gets that that story is a myth, I have never heard anyone deny it. Even Christians, no there is no justification for celebrating Christmas at this time of year other then they wanted it to match the Solstice. And there are contradictory stories, was he born in Nazareth or Bethlehem for instance. Almost ALL learned Christian's will concede all that.
    You are certainly more knowledgeable on the subject than I am, so I'll let it go at that.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

user tags

pull hair out

pull hair

hair pullpicture of someone pulling their hair outpeople in defense of atheismpulling hair outatheist billboardR.C. Symespowered by vBulletin bible story of jobsomeone pulling their hair outpicture of person pulling their hair outatheist billboardswho is r. c. symeswho is rc symesperson pulling hair outpicture of atheistimage of someone pulling their hair outuni panthers basketballhair pullingman pulling hair outpicture of person pulling hair outpull hair picturesperson pulling their hair outpicture of someone pulling out their hairpull the hairpeople pulling their hair outpullhairatheists billboardsiowa religious billboardsin defense of hypocrisy c s lewispowered by vBulletin mustard seed church christmas storyatheist billboards controversyC S Lewis the screwtaplettersAtheist billboard controversyR.C. Symes is a Christian theologian

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •