Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 141

Thread: You stay classy, American Atheists group

  1. #19
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Well the Buddhists might say "Perception IS Reality..." So as you believe so the world demonstrates to you that beliefs are correct.

    When you just accept the world @ it's face value then your experiences will just be an extension of your beliefs.

    So if you really want to see if you are wrong or not, I would suggest that you might try operating from the viewpoint one day or for a week or a month that you ARE an immortal soul & see what happens.

    I have found very often that people go through major viewpoint shifts as the result of a crisis. CAR CRASHES I call them. Some people don't "get it" until they go through a CAR CRASH & they have everything in their life destroyed & have to start over. Often those experiences have more to do with the fact that the person needed to let go of shit that they didnt need in their life anymore.

    If you go about "researching" whether you are right or not & really open your mind to the fact that you could be incorrect in your conclusion, then you might find something out. If you go about it with the idea that you already know that your conclusion IS correct & that you are just going to go out & prove it, chances are YOU WILL prove it & not learn a thing.

    Call me crazy...
    You're crazy! Well, not really, but if I tried your experiment I might find that I am capable of behaving differently, but I know that it wouldn't change my spiritual beliefs. It's not that I cling to them religiously [irony internded] and won't consider alternatives, it's that I have arrived at them through what I consider a logical interpretation of all that I perceive, and my logic and perceptions won't change.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  2. #20

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    The billboard really isn't necessary. Anyone who has been to New Jersey has lost all faith in God.
    Spider, as a young man I spent a couple months on the boardwalk in Wildwood and Cape May and the women had me thanking god daily.

  3. #21
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by pm01 View Post
    Spider, as a young man I spent a couple months on the boardwalk in Wildwood and Cape May and the women had me thanking god daily.
    They've been replaced by the likes of Snooki. I stand by my statement.

    Your post reminded me of a scene in the great movie, Atlantic City. Burt Lancaster is standing on the beach with a much younger Susan Sarandon looking out at the ocean. He is reminiscing about his youth and says, "You should have seen the Atlantic Ocean in those days."
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  4. #22

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Please. The billboard is posted and intended as a direct and negative attack at a group of people and their beliefs.
    Sorry Zapp but you are dead wrong. It is not an attack on anyone at all. It is a simple call to the use of reason. Some people are so hypersensitive it is almost hard for a reasonable person such as myself to believe someone could be so silly as to see this as lacking class in any way shape or form.

  5. #23

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Very funny Spider...

    I gotta agree with Zapp. It is one thing to proclaim one's belief(s) it is another to tout one's belief(s) over someone else in an attempt to make them wrong & yourself right. If you want to communicate to people who share your reality thats fine but that billboard is basically saying that if you are a Christian you are a dummy just like the Catholic one expects you to just believe what they believe cuz they are telling you that this is the reality.

    I think the atheist one is a bit more disingenuous. The catholic one appears to just be an attempt to respond to the atheist one.

    I don't care if you don't believe in God just don't bother telling me I am an idiot because I choose to follow my spiritual intuition & believe that I have an immortal soul. That is basically what this country is about in the 1st place. Free to worship as you wish or NOT if you so wish.

    To the atheist billboard I would say "OK I got it. You think you are better then everyone who believes in anything spiritual. That's gonna make you LOTS of friends...!" And then I might add "Look me up after you die. You might have a few questions..." And leave it @ that.
    That billboard does not tell anyone they are an idiot. It points out a fact, that the story about a virgin birth and wise men following a star is definitely a myth. It is really not a doubt that it is. No woman has ever become pregnant without the contribution of a man's sperm. It cannot physically happen and the whole wise men story is just window dressing.

    If you want to buy into that myth then have at it that is your choice but it is just silliness and oversensitivity to claim that the billboard is calling anyone an idiot.

  6. #24
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    Sorry Zapp but you are dead wrong. It is not an attack on anyone at all. It is a simple call to the use of reason. Some people are so hypersensitive it is almost hard for a reasonable person such as myself to believe someone could be so silly as to see this as lacking class in any way shape or form.
    All it says is, "Your beliefs don't make sense." Some may be very offended by that, some may feel that it is incorrect but no big deal, and many will simply ignore it. None of these reactions is totally inappropriate.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  7. #25

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Pretty much my thoughts. Pretty jerk-ish billboard to put up.

    You are being way way way oversensitive, there is nothing jerkish about the billboard. My gosh they have to look at the silly religious stuff on a daily basis 24/7, they certainly have the right to put up their beliefs once and a while.

  8. #26
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    My gosh they have to look at the silly religious stuff on a daily basis 24/7, they certainly have the right to put up their beliefs once and a while.
    You have a point there, but putting it up at this time of year is kind of like putting a laxative in Santa's cookies.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  9. #27

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    To clarify my position: To have to join a society that denounces religion is pretty pathetic, most atheists just want not to have religion forced on them, but have no desire to actively campaign against others's beliefs.

    But that actual billboard I don't find to be that extreme, especially compared some of the recent attacks such as the Obama/Hitler/Lenin billboard that was in Iowa.

    One of the major benefits of religion is a community of like minded people supporting each other. People like the group sponsoring this billboard are one of those that provide that community for the humanist minded folks. There are also the American Humanist Society, the Secular Humanist Society and the Unitarian Universalist that off that community to folks that recognize reason and rationality as important parts of their life.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •