Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
Results 82 to 88 of 88

Thread: What does the election mean?

  1. #82

    Default Re: What does the election mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    If you happen upon FOX BUSINESS NEWS, (which always hidden @ channel 383 or something on cable or direct tv) you will actually find a decidedly more Libertarian viewpoint on shows such as Judge Napolitano.
    Hearing that name reminded me of one of the most telling comments that I may have ever seen from a purported "lover of freedom."

    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  2. #83
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: What does the election mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tight-Waist View Post
    As a news source FOX is about as far right as CNN, ABC, NBC & CBS are far left. (But yes there are some CNN reporters that hew a very liberal line.)

    The Fox news commentary however is undeniably right and probably to the same degree as CNN's commentary is to the left. MSNBC's commentary exceeds all other sources on stridency.
    I am curious how you can feel you can make definitive judgements on something as subjective as political bias of news commentators, especially considering your own conversative bias.

    Many people on the left feel that the main stream news have a strong corporate bias (which tends to be conservative) and use the reasoning that they are owned by big corporation (GE, Disney) and are protecting their own interests.

  3. #84

    Default Re: What does the election mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Many people on the left feel that the main stream news have a strong corporate bias (which tends to be conservative) and use the reasoning that they are owned by big corporation (GE, Disney) and are protecting their own interests.
    Is that true? I've never heard anyone say that, and I have lefty friends, despite my best efforts.

  4. #85
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: What does the election mean?

    Ban Basketball...
    I personally think guys like O'Reilly & Hannity are just brainwashed & brainwashing the American public into supporting a war that costs us 275 million per day (& those were 2005 figures) & makes companies like GE & other defense contractors BILLIONS in gross income.

    Guys like Napolitano actually use US law & logic when presenting an argument.

  5. #86
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: What does the election mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Is that true? I've never heard anyone say that, and I have lefty friends, despite my best efforts.
    Maybe your lefty friends are more grounded, but many truly believe that main stream media have a conservative bent and if you listen to their arguments there is logic there. I got these with a quick google search on corporate media bias:

    http://www.opednews.com/hersh_062904_media_bias.htm
    ...The media dependably favor elite corporate priorities over the interests of regular Americans and oppose nearly every liberal political initiative from national health to living wages. We don't hear about this because the mass media don't tattle on themselves.

    By contrast, the case for the "liberal media" is skimpy to the point of silly. The most often cited "evidence" relies on a poll of Washington, DC political beat reporters which showed most of them voted for Bill Clinton in 1996. President Clinton was a moderate, not a liberal. Therefore that poll shows most political reporters - not publishers or editors - voted for a mainstream centrist...


    http://www.projectcensored.org/censo...dia-ownership/

    ...ten big media organizations are the main source of news for most Americans... Disney owns ABC so we wonder how the board of Disney reacts to negative news about their board of directors friends such as Halliburton or Boeing. We see board members with connections to Ford, Kraft, and Kimberly-Clark who employ tens of thousands of Americans. Is it possible that the U.S. workforce receives only the corporate news private companies want them to hear? Do we collectively realize that working people in the U.S. have longer hours, lower pay and fewer benefits than their foreign counterparts? If these companies control the media, they control the dissemination of news turning the First Amendment on its head by protecting corporate interests over people.

    I personally find these arguments tiresome and somewhat paranoid, which is similar to how I find people ranting about liberal bias of the media.

  6. #87

    Default Re: What does the election mean?

    I will definitely go on record as saying that the mainstream media has a corporate bias. Now, whether or not that bias is liberal or conservative may be a whole other issue, but it is definitely driven by corporate/business interests.

    Just the very fact that stock market news is always one of the first big daily stories that we hear everyday. However, the vast majority of stocks in the U.S. are owned by very few people. Whose interests does that represent?

    I would also like to add a little something about bias. It gets tedious to hear people equating bias with inaccuracy. We immediately assume that if someone is biased then his/her facts are inaccurate. ALL of us have bias, but that doesn't mean that something that I am biased toward is not factual; it simply represents where I stand on the issue.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  7. #88

    Default Re: What does the election mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I will definitely go on record as saying that the mainstream media has a corporate bias. Now, whether or not that bias is liberal or conservative may be a whole other issue, but it is definitely driven by corporate/business interests.

    Just the very fact that stock market news is always one of the first big daily stories that we hear everyday. However, the vast majority of stocks in the U.S. are owned by very few people. Whose interests does that represent?

    I would also like to add a little something about bias. It gets tedious to hear people equating bias with inaccuracy. We immediately assume that if someone is biased then his/her facts are inaccurate. ALL of us have bias, but that doesn't mean that something that I am biased toward is not factual; it simply represents where I stand on the issue.
    That is something that is all too often forgotten, and is a logical fallacy as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •