Thread: Dr. Laura

Default Dr. Laura

Apparently has no idea what the 1st Ammendment says. Neither does Sarah Palin.

http://chicagopressrelease.com/polit...-to-yahoo-news
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Default Re: Dr. Laura

The article did not say exactly what she said...Did dhe use the "N" word on air and it what context?

I did not know she even still had a show.
    Wasn't she exposed like 10 years ago of acting like a psychologist, when her Doctorate was in something like Sociology?

Judging from what I heard on the COlbert Report, which included an actual clip from the show, here's what I gained:

1. Dr. Laura is pretty dumb.

2. She has somewhat of a point that the black woman may not be equipped to handle the problems that an interracial couple faces, even if those problems are wrong.

3. "Nigger" is a bad word, but black people haven't done themselves any favors with the constant usage of it, which gives racists an excuse to use it more often. If you want it to maintain the offensive connotation of the word, then don't use it. If you want to remove the power from the word, don't let idiots who use it to bait you win that way either. It's either an offensive word, or it's not.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    The article did not say exactly what she said...Did dhe use the "N" word on air and it what context?
    From what I heard, she used it in reference to the word itself, discussing its usage.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Don't know if this is true, but I heard on the radio that someone in government is trying to ban the "N" word. It said they want to start with talk radio. If this is true, why would you start there and not Hollywood? Again, I don't know if this was a legit report because I was flipping channels and some of them are comedic and I don't know which one I was on.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I heard the whole call on another site last night (I could try to find it again, but I'm lazy and what she said isn't relavant to my point that Dr. Laura/Sarah Palin don't know what the 1st ammendment says).

Basically a woman (who is black) called up and said her husband's (who's white) friends (also white) make racially insensitive comments around her and it makes her upset. Dr. Laura told her she was being to sensitive then asked her what her husband's friends actually say. Laura said that black people need to stop being so sensitive because black comedians on HBO use the word all the time and that if you don't have a sense of humor you shouldn't marry out of your race.
    Laura used the N-word about a dozen times. Sponsors pulled out of her show, she went on Larry King and said her 1st ammendment rights have been violated.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Don't know if this is true, but I heard on the radio that someone in government is trying to ban the "N" word. It said they want to start with talk radio. If this is true, why would you start there and not Hollywood? Again, I don't know if this was a legit report because I was flipping channels and some of them are comedic and I don't know which one I was on.
    If this is true and I suspect it isn't, it is because the government has the power to regulate what is on the radio through the FCC, becasue the air waves are owned by the public and the FCC liscense the right to use them. Thus they can fine radio stations or revoke their liscense if thier rules are violated.

The government has no right to restrict what Hollywood does per the first amendment.

At least that is my layman's understanding.

Seems silly for sponsors to pull for her using the word the way you described it.
    However, she should have been smart enough to know there are certain words or feelings that just can't be discussed in public without repercussions.

That neither Dr. Laura or Palin understand the 1st amendment is not surprising.