Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground Zero Mosque

Default Ground Zero Mosque

I do not post on this forum often, but I was frankly surprised that this topic is not already being hotly contested here.

Maybe it isn't the hot-button topic I thought it was...but I wanted to post my thoughts at any rate.

So here goes...

The way I see it, we cannot have it both ways. I don't think we can safely choose which religions are to be covered under our founding principle of "Freedom of Religion". I am not personally excited about the idea of having a mosque at ground zero...but (to be honest) I wouldn't feel great about having a Catholic Cathedral there either (or a Jewish Synagogue...or a Mormon Temple...or a...you get the idea). If I were a citizen of the city of New York/Manhattan, I would likely be quite upset with whomever it was that sold the property to the Muslim group that wants to build their mosque there...primarily because of the controversy it has now cast on the city and the likely negative impact it will have on tourism in the future, etc. But, the deed is done. The property is now privately owned by a group that has plans to build a structure that by all accounts is fully within the existing codes and statutes that govern such construction.

We don't have to like it...but some of us raised our hand and swore to defend the constitution that protects this group's right to pursue their faith. Unless they are doing something illegal or subversive, they have the same rights as any other religious organization.

Fire away...

P.S. I did not vote for President Obama and will not do so if he runs again. I am generally conservative in my politics. I am not Muslim. I did spend 20 years in uniform.

Default Re: Ground Zero Mosque

This forum isn't quite as crazy about political stuff as some of the other ones out there.

In terms of the actual topic, I agree with you.

One thing about this though that irritates me is calling it the "Ground Zero" mosque as if its being built atop the area where the WTC once stood when it isn't.

Its actually being built two blocks away in a place that used to house a department store.

I agree as well. The 911 terrorists represent the religion of Islam about as much as the KKK represents Christianity.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

They have the right to build their religious meeting place anywhere the zoning allows. That said, I think it showed a lack of political sensitivity to build it in this locale. Certainly there are other properties that would not have raised the hackles quite so predictably.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    One thing about this though that irritates me is calling it the "Ground Zero" mosque as if its being built atop the area where the WTC once stood when it isn't.
    As I understand it, not only is this proposed project not at ground zero, it's also not a mosque. It's a community center which might be used as overflow prayer space when the mosque that already exists in the neighborhood is extra crowded.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

I'm so glad to come here and see that intelligence hasn't left the American public all together.

Good call, Spider! I like that comparison. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    As I understand it, not only is this proposed project not at ground zero, it's also not a mosque. It's a community center which might be used as overflow prayer space when the mosque that already exists in the neighborhood is extra crowded.
    That too, the first part annoys me more though.

From what I understand like you say its supposed to be a big community center which will contain somewhere within it a mosque.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I agree as well. The 911 terrorists represent the religion of Islam about as much as the KKK represents Christianity.

I don't think the KKK would be allowed to build their worship spot there. Public outcry is biased towards being "tolerant" on stupid stuff. Yes, they have the right to build there, but they shouldn't. It is a poke in the eye or salt in the wound and for anyone to say that that is not what they are trying to do, is naive.

I will defend the Constitution, but I am also a realist. That iman also has a mosque just 12 blocks away. So why the need for this one? It is a big f-you to America. And, since that building did suffer damage from the planes going into the twin towers (pieces of the plane crashed through one of the top floors) then it is really part of ground zero, in my eyes. And apparently most of New Yorkers eyes, too, based on polls I've seen.

This is going to turn out to be just a complete fiasco. Protesters will be there everyday, fights will break out, ect.... It is just a horrible decision by an obviously insensitive iman.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    That iman also has a mosque just 12 blocks away. So why the need for this one?
    This one is going to be used as overflow worship space when the actual mosque (the one 12 blocks away) is overcrowded.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.