Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drunk Driving taken to a whole new level

Default Re: Drunk Driving taken to a whole new level

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    As a fellow drinker, I find this guy quite responsible. The kids were in a stroller, the stroller didn't tip and he wasn't driving. The real question is where was the mother? She's the one who left her children in his care, so she should be the one charged with child endangerment.
    Are you kidding? How can you place any blame at all on the mother?

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Are you kidding? How can you place any blame at all on the mother?
    Who put her kids in his care if not her?

Who put her kids in his care if not her?
    Him. They are his kids too, are they not? I guess I've always thought that fathers are as responsible for their kids and have as much of a say on who takes them on stroller rides as mothers. Apparently this is not as widely accepted of a concept as I had thought.

As a fellow drinker, I find this guy quite responsible. The kids were in a stroller, the stroller didn't tip and he wasn't driving. The real question is where was the mother? She's the one who left her children in his care, so she should be the one charged with child endangerment.

Also, he probably had his passout timed perfectly. If he hadn't been detained by the police, he probably would have made it home and passed out in his bed. And why is there a law against public intoxication anyway? People can walk around all day and be publicly ugly, or publicly stinking. What's worse. Some dude pushing a stroller and looking drunk or pushing a stroller and being ugly and stinking?

My rant is over.
    I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but I assume you are. Drinking so much that you can't stand up while you are watching kids small enough to be in a stroller?

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but I assume you are. Drinking so much that you can't stand up while you are watching kids small enough to be in a stroller?
    Yesterday I saw a person lying on the sidewalk with their feet in the street. I walked over to ask the person if they were ok. "She" said yes in a very slurred voice, I said you have had a bit too much to drink. She said, "ya think?" I flagged down a cop and let them deal with her. What can you expect down here in NOLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    While I was being silly in my rant, some of the laws like this do actually confuse me. Why is it illegal to get drunk and take your kid for a stroll, but it is completely okay to stick your kid in a car with the windows rolled up, air conditioning on and smoking a cigarette? What is more harmful to the child? Why is it okay to stick a teenager on a boat for nine months by themselves to sail around the world, but it isn't okay to leave them in your house by themselves for nine months?

Quinn,

Speaking for CA law only, public intox is being under the influence to the extent judgement or behavior is impaired causing the person to be a danger to theirself, others, or gravely disabled (647(F) PC). This definition might apply to the case being discussed here.

Sidenote:
    I've never understood the concept of a cop giving FSTs to a person when investigating public intox. In CA public intox (alcohol) is not determined by BAC but rather by behavior and objective symptoms.

Sidenote 2: Once LE comes into contact with a person in a case similar to that mentioned here, the officer will more likely opt to arrest for public intox than not to take any enforcement action. If something should happen to the man or that child after being cut loose by the officer the city will certainly be faced with having to defend itself from a civil liability action. (In CA the officer wouldn't face a civil action as almost every cities indemnifies the officer working under the color of authority.)

UPDATE...

An <nobr style="color: rgb(43, 101, 176); font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; font-family: Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif;" id="itxt_nobr_0_0">Ohio</nobr> man has been sentenced to a year of probation on charges he was drunk while he had his two young sons out in a stroller.A Mansfield Municipal Court clerk says 24-year-old Steven Melendez pleaded no contest Tuesday to child endangering and intoxication and was found guilty by a judge. The sentence includes $150 in fines.
    A Mansfield police officer who made the arrest July 26 reported Melendez smelled of alcohol and couldn't stand without leaning on the stroller. Police say it held Melendez' 1- and 2-year-old sons.
    There's no phone listing for Melendez. He had told <nobr style="color: rgb(43, 101, 176); font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; font-family: Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif;" id="itxt_nobr_3_0">Cleveland</nobr> station WJW-TV he made a mistake and would tell the judge he needed treatment, not jail. The court clerk says the probation department will choose a program.
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...