Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Hey, Mr. Jesse Jackson......

Default Re: Hey, Mr. Jesse Jackson......

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    The majority of Americans.
    Okay, I've been gone for a couple of pages, but Ban posted this when I asked him if a typical American was white or if it included the majority of Americans of all races. So, according to his post he is including blacks in his "typical" American comment.

I commend you on that Ban. When you said typical Americans were one head hair away from complete racism like the KKK I took it as you only meaning whites. Your above answer to my question shows us all that you also meant blacks in that statement. I agree.

The reason most whites don't like Jesse Jackson is because he doesn't think like you. He always blames whites for racism, never blacks and even tries to "tame" free thinking blacks like in this statement:

At a Congressional Black Caucus Foundation dinner commemorating the 25th anniversary of his campaign for the White House, Rev. Jackson directed pointed criticism at Rep. Artur Davis (D-Ala.) by saying "You can't vote against health care and call yourself a black man." Davis, who was the only CBC member to vote against the bill, is also running for governor in his solidly-conservative state, where the legislation is viewed as unpopular.

I think we can all agree that a black man doesn't HAVE to vote for health care in order to call himself black. Now if you could only get to Jesse with your views, you might be able to change the thoughts of many in America.

""Typical," as in the majority. That is what we mean in the social sciences by "typical." If the majority of people believe this way, we are comfortable in saying that this view or behavior is "typical." Need any further edurcation?"

No thanks on the education. I think you may need some.

The problem surfaces when describing individuals as typical without even knowing that they in fact are. That's apart from the fact that the word typical does not, by definition, mean majority. It could be used to describe any minority group or other smaller groups also. IE--A typical (fill in any group). That's the seeds of stereotyping.

There is no question, to me, that you have been using the phrase in a negative sense in your posts up to now. It's a dangerous way to teach a class. It would be like me using the phrase "a typical Cleveland cop, or a typical Cuyahoga County prosecutor, or a typical county judge". I didn't do that and wouldn't. UNLESS..........I was intending an insult, in which case it would be a WILLFULL act on my part and hardly academic.

That's not to say one can't use the word typical, but it requires some circumspection. More specificity, less generalization, and make sure you are accurate.
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

JJ is an egomaniac of the *highest order*. I don't trust anybody that speaks in non-standard human cadence.

I spoke to JJackson.com in Fort Dodge, Iowa (@ ICCC back in the early 1980s), and the guy would not look me in the eye. The hubris of this man is most galling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    He is an egomaniac.....i heard somewhere that MLK Jr. did not like him at all. Now MLK was a true hero who changed this country for the better. Not to mention has some great quotes!!