Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617
Results 145 to 152 of 152

Thread: Is God Punishing the Gulf

  1. #145

    Default Re: Is God Punishing the Gulf

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    If Quinn and Whippet believe in Adam and Eve being literal did you not call them idiots. If they intimated that they believed in the literal telling of adam and eve and you then posted anyone who believes the story is anything other than a metaphor is a idiot, have not just called them idiots or at the least implied that you believe their beliefs are idiotic and in the same vein they are idiots for having the thoughts?

    If I said to you "I hate chocolate" and you responded "people who hate chocolate are stupid", did you not just call me stupid. Now if we flipped the conversation and you spoke first then I would say you did not call me stupid because you had no idea of my position on the issue. However after you have been given information about my beliefs and then you choose to say that those beliefs are stupid you are in fact calling me stupid.
    I guess to answer your question directly, yes if I had seen them intimate that they believed the story literally I would have called them idiots with that post, but since I have not seen that, it is clear I did not.

  2. #146
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Is God Punishing the Gulf

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    I have not seen either whippet or quinn say they believe in the literal story of Adam and Eve, have you?

    But yes, anyone who does believe in that story literally is a few cards short of a full deck. That would be like literally believing in the story of Jonah being in the belly of a whale or in the story of Samson. Both clearly were just stories to get a moral lesson across. You have to have a few screws loose to believe them literally.
    Intimated, means that they might have hinted at such a belief not that they literally came out and said it. Like if your son started wearing everything hello kitty and listening to Brittany Spears, he didn't say he was gay but there is a good chance that he is.

  3. #147

    Default Re: Is God Punishing the Gulf

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Intimated, means that they might have hinted at such a belief not that they literally came out and said it. Like if your son started wearing everything hello kitty and listening to Brittany Spears, he didn't say he was gay but there is a good chance that he is.
    I know what intimated means Ugly, I have seen neither quinn, nor whippet intimate that they believe in the literal story of Adam and Eve, if I had, there would have been no reason for me to ask the question, which are you, idiot or not?

  4. #148

    Default Re: Is God Punishing the Gulf

    In fact if anything, I have seen quinn intimate that he does not believe in the literal story of Adam and Eve because he said he believe other animals have definitely evolved and there were dinosaurs et.al. This would clearly imply a belief in an old Earth and a "creative" process that exceeds six days all of which implies a belief in something other than the literal story.
    Last edited by coachsparky; 07-05-2010 at 08:21 AM.

  5. #149
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Is God Punishing the Gulf

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    I know what intimated means Ugly, I have seen neither quinn, nor whippet intimate that they believe in the literal story of Adam and Eve, if I had, there would have been no reason for me to ask the question, which are you, idiot or not?
    I didn't see you second post because we posted at the same time.

  6. #150
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Is God Punishing the Gulf

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    It is not a lack of understanding of what science is. It is a question to the integrity of the scientists when all of this money is being thrown around for certain research to find certain answers. If you dont believe that this is possible, I would suggest that is a lack of understand of what human nature is.
    Unfortunately, there are dishonest scientists just as there are dishonest people in every field - even dentistry. Still, I have studied under scientists all my life and am in a profession where research and science are fundamental to everything I do. I sincerely believe that the vast majority of scientific investigators are dedicated to finding the true nature of things, and would never fasify or intentionally misinterpret data for personal gain. That said, even though there are unproven theories like the big bang or global warming, I trust those who study these subjects to develop the most reasonable and likely theories based upon the data that is available. When more data becomes available, these theories may be altered or replaced. Until then, they are the best we have, and one would be foolish to question them without better supporting evidence.

    When people attack scientific theories armed only with the Bible, they are fighting hard evidence with faith. Religion was never meant to contradict science, it was meant to give answers to questions that science couldn't answer. It still is meant to do that, although now that science can better deal with the questions of the true nature of the universe, religion is left to deal with the metaphysical questions of man's purpose on earth and the existence and nature of God. It is a big mistake to expect religion to answer the scientific questions, just as it is a big mistake to try to prove or disprove the existence of God with science
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  7. #151
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Is God Punishing the Gulf

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Unfortunately, there are dishonest scientists just as there are dishonest people in every field - even dentistry. Still, I have studied under scientists all my life and am in a profession where research and science are fundamental to everything I do. I sincerely believe that the vast majority of scientific investigators are dedicated to finding the true nature of things, and would never fasify or intentionally misinterpret data for personal gain. That said, even though there are unproven theories like the big bang or global warming, I trust those who study these subjects to develop the most reasonable and likely theories based upon the data that is available. When more data becomes available, these theories may be altered or replaced. Until then, they are the best we have, and one would be foolish to question them without better supporting evidence.

    When people attack scientific theories armed only with the Bible, they are fighting hard evidence with faith. Religion was never meant to contradict science, it was meant to give answers to questions that science couldn't answer. It still is meant to do that, although now that science can better deal with the questions of the true nature of the universe, religion is left to deal with the metaphysical questions of man's purpose on earth and the existence and nature of God. It is a big mistake to expect religion to answer the scientific questions, just as it is a big mistake to try to prove or disprove the existence of God with science
    Spider I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. I wasn't trying to argue the point of evolution being real or fake vs the bible story. I was only trying to see if he would admit that there could some integrity issues when it comes to science. I dont think that the majority of scientist are corrupt but to be certain as you said there are certainly some.

  8. #152
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Is God Punishing the Gulf

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Spider I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. I wasn't trying to argue the point of evolution being real or fake vs the bible story. I was only trying to see if he would admit that there could some integrity issues when it comes to science. I dont think that the majority of scientist are corrupt but to be certain as you said there are certainly some.
    Ugly,

    Even though I quoted you, my post was really an attempt to reconcile this whole science vs. Bible debate and address those who feel that when science and religion seem to disagree they must take sides.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •