Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: States Rights Under Fire

Default States Rights Under Fire

Okay, so Billery let the cat out and Obama is about to sue AZ to block the AZ immigration law. About the only angle with potential success for the fed is that immigration law already exists, the fed is responsible for enforcing it and AZ has tread on it. Fed law trumps state law EXCEPT when state law maintains an aspect that is not addressed in the federal version.

AZ's argument, states right to self govern. This should an interesting battle over constitutionality.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Default Re: States Rights Under Fire

Its BS. In the past, speaking from experience, they American Disability Act was only enforced by the Department of Justice, a federal entity. Conformance to ADA was very low around the nation because it was not enforced locally. Just a few years ago, ADA made its way into Florida state law and mandated by building code. It is enforced at plan review and inspection. There is rarely a building that does not meet it in Florida.

This was a successful adoption of a federal law by a state.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

I agree with leglace. All the AZ law is, is an adoption of the federal law and it has more regulations for the law enforcement than the fed does. I dont see how this lawsuit has a chance in hell to overturn the AZ law.

Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    Its BS. In the past, speaking from experience, they American Disability Act was only enforced by the Department of Justice, a federal entity. Conformance to ADA was very low around the nation because it was not enforced locally. Just a few years ago, ADA made its way into Florida state law and mandated by building code. It is enforced at plan review and inspection. There is rarely a building that does not meet it in Florida.

This was a successful adoption of a federal law by a state.
    Like I said if the state adopts a stricter code the state can enforce it locally.

The federal ADA is enforced by those in need. If there is a violation, someone with a handicap restriction can sue and receive remuneration for failure to comply. Decisions to date have been of far greater value than any fine the fed could mete out. There are no ADA Compliance Officers like OSHA or USEPA.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Is there any REAL difference between the AZ law and Kennedy sending the National Guard against Wallace ? IMO, the confederate states had the right to secede from the Union -a LOT of unnecessary bloodshed .

I think the difference here is that the AZ law mirrors the fed law. I hope you are tongue in cheek when you say the states had the right to secede.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Like I said if the state adopts a stricter code the state can enforce it locally.

The federal ADA is enforced by those in need. If there is a violation, someone with a handicap restriction can sue and receive remuneration for failure to comply. Decisions to date have been of far greater value than any fine the fed could mete out. There are no ADA Compliance Officers like OSHA or USEPA.

Ryou, having an dedicated enforcement agency is inconsequential. The AZ law only allows local officials to report the offenders to ICE. What ICE does from there is their call.

I was just giving an example of when a state needs to act and how beneficial it has turned out to be.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Every illegal caught should be cuffed hand and foot and dumped in the lobby of the Federal courthouse in the area, after they fill up the lobby of their Senators and Congressmen. A few hundred pissing and crappin illegals in their lobby would push the Feds to get off their fat butts and do something about it.
    They are criminals, arrest and deport.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    Every illegal caught should be cuffed hand and foot and dumped in the lobby of the Federal courthouse in the area, after they fill up the lobby of their Senators and Congressmen. A few hundred pissing and crappin illegals in their lobby would push the Feds to get off their fat butts and do something about it.
    They are criminals, arrest and deport.
    This post and the one about Mormons sounds suspiciously close to something a guy by another name might post. WUW are you anyway. Oops, I mean, who are you?