Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LA school Field trip

Default Re: LA school Field trip

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Trust me, I am not worried about my children. It is the children who are being raised without a solid family structure that I am worried about. They do tend to turn to teachers or coaches for wisdom. Sadly, there are more and more children being raised without a solid family structure these days. The only thing we can hope is that they are taught to do what is right by whomever they choose to look up to. I think everyone agreed that they didn't agree with what the teachers were doing in that article. It's just that it isn't illegal so some think it should be overlooked. I don't. Let's face it, one day we will all be elderly and I would hope that the generation behind me has the skill sets to run the country. I am doubting that more and more.
    I agree some families these days have to have both parents work so they rely on the school and others to raise their children. There are still a lot of parents out there that they take a very active roll in their children's development and based on what i have read on here Scott is one of those people and based on this i understand his point.

the problem i have these days is teachers and schools teaching their opinions as fact. Again this is not always the case and there are some very very good teachers out there these days. I know a lot of teachers that get upset when the district makes them teach something as fact when it isn't opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    I agree some families these days have to have both parents work so they rely on the school and others to raise their children. There are still a lot of parents out there that they take a very active roll in their children's development and based on what i have read on here Scott is one of those people and based on this i understand his point.
    I wasn't talking about Scott's family, just families in general these days. And it isn't just two parents working that is the problem. Actually, I think that teaches a good work ethic, if done right. My problem is with the absent parents. There is an entire generation being raised right now that thinks divorce is the norm. Parents who stay together are the "weirdos". My son actually asked me once, when he was around 7 or 8, why my wife and I stayed together. He was told that if we got a divorce and remarried someone else that he would end up getting more Christmas and birthday presents. That was easily corrected, but you see my point.

Usually, it's the dad who takes off. A lot of times he refuses or can't pay the child support, so the woman is left to raise the child alone. She still has to work and the kids are left alone. Those types of situations are becoming more and more common and those are the children I worry about.

TO BE SURE, I DON'T MEAN IT IS EVERY SITUATION OR ANYONE'S SITUATION ON THIS BOARD. I'M SIMPLY SAYING THAT THE SITUATION IS GETTING MORE AND MORE COMMON.

In a perfect world cops enforce laws equally, doctors treat ethically, and spiritually leaders lead benevolently, but we know this place isn't perfect.

Teachers, I hope, teach critical thinking skills so their students can make rational and reasonable choices. For the most part that's what the teachers I've observed do but in all professions there are outliners. I'm certain SGallan and Richardson teach responsibly. I only hope these teachers take a similar role in the classroom and not indoctrinate.

Not teaching anymore (well, yeah, kind of I am) since I left the schools to become a Youth Correctional Counselor. But when I was teaching, I like to think that I taught responsibly, and responsibility.
    However, some of my best lessons created a certain amount of discomfort for my parents. For example, while teaching 7 and 8 grade Special Ed Language Arts/Social Studies, I did a whole unit (6 weeks) on "When is it O.K. to kill another person." We investigated Capital Punishment, self defense, military requirements, criminal behavior, etc. Since a lot of my students were gang wannabes, it was an edifying experience. We did a lot of talking about who were the victims of violent crime. (Funny, I am still having the same conversations at the prison.) I had a LOT of parents really unhappy.
    Actually, I am of the opinion that if your parents are NOT unhappy, you may not be doing your job. Perhaps some of the function of a teacher is to create discomfort in the community.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

That sounds like a great class. Maybe you should start a thread on the topic and see where the debate goes.