Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 23

Thread: LA school Field trip

  1. #10
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    I'm saying it shouldn't be ANY of them.

    Do you really want to "control" what people (in this case teachers) do in their spare time if it is legal and within their rights? Control what parents teach their kids? Or is this just a general opinion?

    By the way, do you think that the native americans who were here when the white man first came over should have just welcomed us with open arms? Or should they have tried to protect their land, like they did? I don't want to get too off subject, but the thought that it's no big deal to just open your borders is ridiculous and that is why they are protesting a law that checks for legality.

    Now, if you say the natives should have been allowed to protect their land, then you would have to agree that we should protect it now. If you say that they should have just embraced diversity and let us come in and take over without a fight, then you are calling them racists for what they did (which was just trying to protect what was theirs).


    Fair questions and comments that deservew a thread of their own but hijack this one.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  2. #11

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    I don't want to "control" what people do. I think by teaching youngsters this sort of stuff does control what they will do. I think that the amount of illegals in this country has changed the thought process of people. I don't live on the border, but the legal Mexican immigrants around me (and I know between 15-20) are pissed off at the illegals that give them a bad name. They all have told me they agree with the Arizona law, too. But apparently around the border, there are so many illegals that they are getting sympathy for breaking the law. It is a weird phenomenon to me when people who are clearly breaking the law are the ones others support. Especially when these people are taking jobs and bringing down salaries for legal citizens.

    By the way, the only reason I know 15-20 legal Mexican immigrants is because my brother-in-law just started his own carpentry business and they are, I guess, good drywallers. My wife and I are partners in the business only in the money invested, but we did hire a lawyer to make sure everything and everyone was legal. Not sure what was done to make sure everything was okay, but the lawyers did assure us they are legal.

  3. #12

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Individuals acting on their own time supporting causes they believe in. While I disagree with them, there is nothing wrong with that. This did not happen during school hours, it was not school sponsored, it was not school funded. Not a school field trip. Nothing to do with LAUSD - except that teachers and students were involved during their off time.
    You and Jensen have a good point. I misread the article and the paragraph below lead me to believe this was a school sponsored event. Doesn't the school have to get involved in some way if a teacher is taking students somewhere or "teaching" them outside of school hours? I honestly don't know the answer and that is why i am asking. I guess teachers can tutor after hours so it is essentially the same. That being said it is still my opinion that these teachers went overboard and crossed the line, but it is a free country and people can do what they want (for the most part).

    "Four days later, the school board president implored the superintendent of schools to ensure that students in the district be taught that Arizona's law is "un-American" and Jim Crow-like. The law, passed in April, empowers law enforcement officials to question the immigration status of people they think may be in the country illegally."

    It is the paragraph above that lead me to believe the school was involved. How is indoctrinating our youth with incorrect information or opinion actually teaching.

    When i was in Highschool i had a government teacher that refused to tell us what his political beliefs are. He said his job was not to teach his opinions but to share the facts and let us decide what we believe and teach us how to articulate our view points with actual evidence. On our papers and speaches he taught us how to research and then graded us not on our beliefs but by how well we documented our sources and formed our arguments. He was a great teacher. It is funny he actually taught my mother and father and they grew up in different towns.

  4. #13

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    On a side note about the teacher i found out after High School that he was a moderate liberal but i still received A's in his classes and i was a conservative back then as well.

    Just goes to show a great teacher will stick in your memory for years after he/she taught you!!

  5. #14

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    You and Jensen have a good point. I misread the article and the paragraph below lead me to believe this was a school sponsored event. Doesn't the school have to get involved in some way if a teacher is taking students somewhere or "teaching" them outside of school hours? I honestly don't know the answer and that is why i am asking. I guess teachers can tutor after hours so it is essentially the same. That being said it is still my opinion that these teachers went overboard and crossed the line, but it is a free country and people can do what they want (for the most part).

    "Four days later, the school board president implored the superintendent of schools to ensure that students in the district be taught that Arizona's law is "un-American" and Jim Crow-like. The law, passed in April, empowers law enforcement officials to question the immigration status of people they think may be in the country illegally."

    It is the paragraph above that lead me to believe the school was involved. How is indoctrinating our youth with incorrect information or opinion actually teaching.

    When i was in Highschool i had a government teacher that refused to tell us what his political beliefs are. He said his job was not to teach his opinions but to share the facts and let us decide what we believe and teach us how to articulate our view points with actual evidence. On our papers and speaches he taught us how to research and then graded us not on our beliefs but by how well we documented our sources and formed our arguments. He was a great teacher. It is funny he actually taught my mother and father and they grew up in different towns.
    I had the same type of teacher, chance. That is funny how you described him because it was my exact same situation. My teacher would give a situation and then ask us our opinions. It didn't matter what our opinion was, he played devils advocate and made us back up our thoughts with reason. It was one of the best classes I ever had because it taught you how to think critically and see the other side, no matter what that side was.

  6. #15
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    I think by teaching youngsters this sort of stuff does control what they will do

    Well as a parent I hope I hold more influence over some teachers here and there. Actually I am pretty sure I do. If you think teachers have that much power, then I cannot say this strongly enough...... homeschool your children.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  7. #16

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    Doesn't the school have to get involved in some way if a teacher is taking students somewhere or "teaching" them outside of school hours? I honestly don't know the answer and that is why i am asking.
    One of the teachers at my high school ran my church's youth group. Didn't seem to be an issue for anyone, but it might vary by state.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  8. #17

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    I think by teaching youngsters this sort of stuff does control what they will do

    Well as a parent I hope I hold more influence over some teachers here and there. Actually I am pretty sure I do. If you think teachers have that much power, then I cannot say this strongly enough...... homeschool your children.
    Trust me, I am not worried about my children. It is the children who are being raised without a solid family structure that I am worried about. They do tend to turn to teachers or coaches for wisdom. Sadly, there are more and more children being raised without a solid family structure these days. The only thing we can hope is that they are taught to do what is right by whomever they choose to look up to. I think everyone agreed that they didn't agree with what the teachers were doing in that article. It's just that it isn't illegal so some think it should be overlooked. I don't. Let's face it, one day we will all be elderly and I would hope that the generation behind me has the skill sets to run the country. I am doubting that more and more.

  9. #18

    Default Re: LA school Field trip

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    One of the teachers at my high school ran my church's youth group. Didn't seem to be an issue for anyone, but it might vary by state.
    you have a good point.....i can see how some people would view that as similiar to this situation.

    I guess it is the combination of the trip and how the school mandates that this law be taught is what pissed me off. I might have jumped on this a little too hard though.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •