Thread: Issues matter more than Party

Default Issues matter more than Party

It looks as if the primary elections are shaking things up a bit but not because of who is winning but why they are winning. The people winning are winning on the issues and less on their string ties to the party. This could be good for the immediate future of our congress, get some people in their that are passionate about what needs to be done rather than the special interests that want things done.

When incumbent anti-union democrats are winning the primary over union supported dems that is a good sign that the voters are seeing the error of our ways in both parties.

Default Re: Issues matter more than Party

We'll see if that holds true.

Because party reigns supreme in politics far more than ideology, this is why we almost always see ideology go by the wayside for party loyalty and to vote the "party line." Witness the democrats who voted for the health care bill, even though they opposed most of it. Dennis Kucinich was a great example. Witness the republicans who voted against it, even though many were calling for many of the same reforms in years prior to the current bill that was passed. Iowa's very own Chuck Grassley was a great example.

This is why I vote party first, and ideology second, as that's how the game is played. (However, I will never vote for a Clinton to preserve party, but will simply write in my own candidate!).
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

True but I think the primary is showing us that people are fed up with the parties just doing the status quo. People will still vote the party but hey will vote a different kind of candidate from the party. Which makes me believe that the issues are mattering more.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post

This is why I vote party first, and ideology second, as that's how the game is PERPETUATED.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Maybe, but they are the perameters that we are given to work with in the modern political system.

The last thing in the world that I want to do is nullify my vote, and the quickest way to nullify it is vote ideology, as the person that you voted for isn't likely going to vote their ideology. They vote party, or they get slowly eeked out of the system.

The last thing in the world that I want to do is nullify my vote, and the quickest way to nullify it is vote ideology, as the person that you voted for isn't likely going to vote their ideology. They vote party, or they get slowly eeked out of the system.
    That is the major drawback of our current system. I usually prefer the libertarian candidate, but historically a libertarian candidate has no chance. My second preference would be fiscally conservative and socially liberal, but try finding one of those. So, I'm usually stuck voting for a republican who says that they are a small government advocate, but then after they're elected they spend like everyone else.

I don't think I've ever voted for a Democrat, but if the Democratic candidate for President had been stronger last year then I may broken my cherry. No way I'd vote for Obama though, so I was stuck with the horrendous option of voting McCain/Palin. A true no-win situation for me and for my country.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    My second preference would be fiscally conservative and socially liberal, but try finding one of those.
    Jesse Ventura would be your man; he even describes himself that way.

Within the first few days of his governorship (is there such a word?) he was espousing his fiscal ideas on the capital steps. AM radio was absolutely alive with enthusiasm over this "maverick." Growing up in Minnesota, I know all about his beliefs, as he was also mayor of Brooklyn Park (Or Center?) before being Gov. So, I kept silently saying to myself, "We'll see how you all feel when his liberal views start coming forth."

When he began talking about drug legalization, religion is an evil thing, and government has no right to regulate what people do in the privacy of their own homes, he suddenly becamse a "wacko" with these folks. Kind of the same scenario with Ross Perot!

For the record, I like Ventura. He's exactly what we need in the system today!

When he began talking about drug legalization, religion is an evil thing, and government has no right to regulate what people do in the privacy of their own homes, he suddenly becamse a "wacko" with these folks. Kind of the same scenario with Ross Perot!
    Yes, the right does prefer government imposed morality.

On a related note, Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom" is selling out everywhere: http://hayekcenter.org/?p=2841

A great book, and relevant.