Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio Cops No Longer Need Radar to Give Speeding Tickets

Default Ohio Cops No Longer Need Radar to Give Speeding Tickets

Default Re: Ohio Cops No Longer Need Radar to Give Speeding Tickets

This doesn't even make sense. Why did cities and counties spend our tax dollars on radars if they don't even need them? I bet this will be just any easier way for them to raise revenue by writing tickets.

Facts of the case.

1. The driver was visually estimated traveling at 79 mph which was confirmed by the officer's radar.
    2. The driver was cited for traveling 70 in a 60 mph zone.
    3. The court threw out the radar reading as a passing truck may have interfered but accepted the officer's visual estimation as he was deemed an expert after voir dire.

I don't see anything crappy about it. This was pretty much a judicial slam dunk. You are being foolish if you actually feel Ohio law enforcement will abandon radar or there will be a rash of cites based on visual estimations only over this ruling.

I had a cop tell me I was going about 20 over the speed limit. I had to ask her if she would try to use that in court, I was "about" 20 over. So basically you are guessing and you think that will hold up. She had no radar on me just the naked eye. Cops need radar, I dont think a cop could really tell how much over you were going unless he was at a spot he had landmarks at and knew how long it should take you to pass them at a certain speed.

I dont think we should ever go on the best guess of an officer as to whether or not someone is speeding.

Olympic Champ

So does this mean that all tickets written before the advent should be thrown out. I have a few of those in my teens and early twenties and I want my money back!
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Scott - a few?

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    So does this mean that all tickets written before the advent should be thrown out. I have a few of those in my teens and early twenties and I want my money back!
    Wow, you're old! lol

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Scott - a few?
    Six speeding, two reckless, and one evasion. They took my license away for awhile and wouldn't let me ride motorcycles for a couple of years.

I can't imagine why??
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    So you are ok with a cop just "guesstimating" your speed, even thought they have the technology to get it right. But you don't like them to be able to "guesstimate" whether a person is a legal citizen or not.

Am I getting it right? Are you being hypocritical? Please tell me why a cop is okay guessing in one situation but not the other.