Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: War on Terror

Default Re: War on Terror

Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    Political correctness is disarming common sense.

Perhaps one of the greatest thoughts to ever be posted on this forum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leglace

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Perhaps one of the greatest thoughts to ever be posted on this forum.
    I agree completely, BUT let's not paint with too broad a brush. People's rights are still people's rights, and we can't always just dismiss them under the guise of pc gone wild.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Your posts are too long for me to read entirely, but I like your thoughts on "why they hate us".
    I think the Bush Jr. never really believe that they "hate freedom", but it makes a good sound bite and demonizing the enemy.
    Well Sorry about that it's too long. I even tried to shorten it but there is just too much data out there. The Devil is in the details. Most Americans don't know that OUR Government does not export Democracy but takes it away COVERTLY when it goes against the vested interests. If you lived in a country where a "superpower" took away your democracy, you might be pissed off too!

I do think Bush was partially right. The East does not like the influence of the West. They would like to promote their sharia law as the only path to god. It is their job to resist our influence, and they do it with intepretations of their koran and the wording in sharia. Sharia promotes individual privacy, yet many fundamentalists are unhappy with the influences of the internet. So they would like to be justified in finding wrong in pop culture. So much so they make it a crime.

So they do hate our freedoms, but more so our culture as they feel we are afflicting their youth.

As far as the statements made by Brennan, he is wrong. We are at war, whether officially announced by congress or not, our homeland security is operating as such. We are not at war with a race, nation, or group. We are at war with an extreme state of mind. The actions of these extremists is motivated biblically as a jihad. And their methods are to terrorize. So excuse me if it just makes the most sense that we are at war with a jihad against us, and the people carrying out attacks are classified as terrorists.

When you use terms like THEY it can lead to a generality & think that ALL MUSLIMS think they way extremists do. They do not. Just like NOT every American dreams the "American Dream."

Conflicts are inflamed. A conflict cannot exist unless there is a 3rd party, hidden, fanning the flames. Out of conflict then arises WAR & WAR is good business.

The vested interests create data for you to hate them & for them to hate you. Wars can be won yet this won will never be won as the vested interests finally have an enemy you can never locate & never defeat. And it is an enemy WE CREATED.

Bush Jr said what he said to fan the flames of hatred amongst us. And then our citizens are willing to go off to war to fight NOT for AMERICA but for the United States of Exxon, Mobil & Chevron. They died needlessly as it is not for our freedom but for those corporations profits.

Blackwater should have taught all of us that by now.

I will bet you that if our government actually did what it said & exported DEMOCRACY & allowed the Iraqis to choose the government that they wanted, it would be a different story.

If we took the military bases out of Saudi Arabia, if we had never overthrew the Iranian PM Mossadegh, if we had never invaded Iraq, if we spotted trying to control covertly all the oil we would not ahve this "war."

Read what Robin Cook said about "Al-qaeda."

kr, your talking about imperialism. We are in the midst of a super-imperialism between the US, Europe, and Japan. China has joined the foray as of late. It is really based on capitalism and a global economy of sorts.

But the point is that we are not alone in these imperialist ideals. But we cannot deny that we are practicing it, and 3rd world countries have a right to be ticked off.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

As far as the statements made by Brennan, he is wrong. We are at war, whether officially announced by congress or not, our homeland security is operating as such. We are not at war with a race, nation, or group. We are at war with an extreme state of mind.

I have to wonder about your first point, when we repeatedly refer to home grown, right wing terrorists as "bombers," while the word "terrorist" is always reserved for someone dark skinned. Witness the recent acts of home grown terrorism on our soil. In fact, I'm curious as to why we don't hear the daily deluge of "investigations" on AM radio and Fixed News when this happens. Rather, theey get portrayed as "isolated wackos," yet an "isolated brown skinned wacko" leads to all kinds of questions of international conspiracies.

As for your other point (PC), I can't help but be reminded of the change from "Crusade against terror" to the "War on terrorism." That was done by "president" Bush I. Is that where our "PC war" began?
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    When you use terms like THEY it can lead to a generality & think that ALL MUSLIMS think they way extremists do.
    No, just most of them. Or at least those who have the courage to use their voices. Maybe when the the peaceful ones are afraid of having their tongues cut off or worse.

Flame away, but if my daughter brought home a boy deeply-rooted in the Muslim faith I would be extremely concerned. I suspect I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I have to wonder about your first point, when we repeatedly refer to home grown, right wing terrorists as "bombers," while the word "terrorist" is always reserved for someone dark skinned. Witness the recent acts of home grown terrorism on our soil. In fact, I'm curious as to why we don't hear the daily deluge of "investigations" on AM radio and Fixed News when this happens. Rather, theey get portrayed as "isolated wackos," yet an "isolated brown skinned wacko" leads to all kinds of questions of international conspiracies.

As for your other point (PC), I can't help but be reminded of the change from "Crusade against terror" to the "War on terrorism." That was done by "president" Bush I. Is that where our "PC war" began?
    I think you are drifting away from my point.

A bomber is a terrorist in anybody's book. The media has to sell stories so let them call it what they want. But to deny that we are at war with jihadists or terrorists is dishonest. That is exactly what our homeland security is trying to thwart.

As for what Bush did, that does not sound at all PC. Its a synonym for the same thing. PC is when you delicately change the wording to be more inclusive and less sensitive. Bush did none of the sort.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post

I would have to disagree with your first point Ban, i think most people would consider acts such as the Oklahoma City (just one example) a terrorist act. Not to mention most people considered the IRA a terrorist organization and they were white not a group comprised of dark skinned individuals.

When it comes to the isolated wackos most of the people on AM talk shows and "Fixed" news say they are terrorist but also refer to them as isolated incidents because the majority are not tied to a "group" and are isolated incidents because they don't have anyone else from their group or religion that is going to continue to fight. But make no mistake they are terrorists. A one man terrorist act can be an isolated incident.