Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul

Default Rand Paul

RP makes Palin look like a moderate. This guy will talk himself into a loss-even in KY. What he thinks is libertarianism is is really just psycho talk.

People that voted in the GOP primary are just going to be a small part of the overall electorate. I wouldn't be so cocky if I was him.

Default Re: Rand Paul

Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    RP makes Palin look like a moderate. This guy will talk himself into a loss-even in KY. What he thinks is libertarianism is is really just psycho talk.

People that voted in the GOP primary are just going to be a small part of the overall electorate. I wouldn't be so cocky if I was him.
    How is he cocky?

How is he a psycho? I'm not up to speed on Paul, other than I know his father has a lot of good ideas.

WUW I know what you are referencing. I think that Maddow was trying to bait him and he handled it well. He never said he was for segregation or any of that just that he thought the civil rights bill infringed on the rights of private property owners. It was a very reasonable stance to take and he gave examples of how it might effect other issues for business owners and making decisions for their property.

I may be overly sensitive about all this, having spent last Saturday at Major League Baseball's Civil Rights Awards lunch and game here in Cincinnati... and having spent time interviewing two African-American pioneers in college wrestling.

While I think some institutions such as the US military, MLB, the NCAA and many major college wrestling programs did the right thing RE race relations, some institutions did not. I remember as a child seeing a "No Coloreds" sign in front of a restaurant in Springfield, Illinois, state capital of the state where I grew up. This was the 1960s, folks... I also was moved to learn of the time the first black college champ, Simon Roberts of the University of Iowa, was refused service in a restaurant in Stillwater during the 1956 NCAAs. One of his teammates, Hawkeye heavyweight Barron Bremner, changed the restaurant owner's mind.

Not everyone can be counted on to do the right thing. Heck, if I could, I would drive 90mph between here and Columbus. The road is flat, straight and boring... but we agree that speed limits are a good idea for our overall safety. I'd like to think that as a society we could agree that someone should not be refused a sandwich and a Coke because of the color of his skin, or because she can't enter the restaurant because she's in a wheelchair.

Mark
    http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/3721 Harold Henson, first black to wrestle at any NCAA championships (1949, for San Diego State)

http://revwrestling.com/articles/281...-Simon-Roberts -- first black to win an NCAA wrestling title (1957, for Iowa)

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/3568 -- African-Americans in wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    WUW I know what you are referencing. I think that Maddow was trying to bait him and he handled it well. He never said he was for segregation or any of that just that he thought the civil rights bill infringed on the rights of private property owners. It was a very reasonable stance to take and he gave examples of how it might effect other issues for business owners and making decisions for their property.
    I don't watch Maddow most of the time. Besides, she will out-intellectual the best of them. I'm more referring to his cocky acceptance speech and his overall demeanor as if he is the one who has all the answers.

He's a novice at this and he needs to step back and look at the big pic. He has zero political experience and the more he's challenged, the more psycho he looks.

This guy is way out there. I'm more of a true libertarian than he is. He is just playing to the teabagger crowd.

This whole naive idea that the common man can step into a job that requires a lot of experience and be able to kick butt and take names is ludicrous in my opinion.

I doubt he was even a community organizer.

Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    I don't watch Maddow most of the time. Besides, she will out-intellectual the best of them. I'm more referring to his cocky acceptance speech and his overall demeanor as if he is the one who has all the answers.

He's a novice at this and he needs to step back and look at the big pic. He has zero political experience and the more he's challenged, the more psycho he looks.

This guy is way out there. I'm more of a true libertarian than he is. He is just playing to the teabagger crowd.

This whole naive idea that the common man can step into a job that requires a lot of experience and be able to kick butt and take names is ludicrous in my opinion.

I doubt he was even a community organizer.
    I believe he is a Dr. graduated from Duke so I dont think he is really the common man.

I dont know to much about him but from I have seen I like him. Yes he is a novice that much is evident by the fact he would tell the truth during an election.

Quote Originally Posted by ideamark View Post
    I may be overly sensitive about all this, having spent last Saturday at Major League Baseball's Civil Rights Awards lunch and game here in Cincinnati... and having spent time interviewing two African-American pioneers in college wrestling.

While I think some institutions such as the US military, MLB, the NCAA and many major college wrestling programs did the right thing RE race relations, some institutions did not. I remember as a child seeing a "No Coloreds" sign in front of a restaurant in Springfield, Illinois, state capital of the state where I grew up. This was the 1960s, folks... I also was moved to learn of the time the first black college champ, Simon Roberts of the University of Iowa, was refused service in a restaurant in Stillwater during the 1956 NCAAs. One of his teammates, Hawkeye heavyweight Barron Bremner, changed the restaurant owner's mind.

Not everyone can be counted on to do the right thing. Heck, if I could, I would drive 90mph between here and Columbus. The road is flat, straight and boring... but we agree that speed limits are a good idea for our overall safety. I'd like to think that as a society we could agree that someone should not be refused a sandwich and a Coke because of the color of his skin, or because she can't enter the restaurant because she's in a wheelchair.

Mark
    http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/3721 Harold Henson, first black to wrestle at any NCAA championships (1949, for San Diego State)

http://revwrestling.com/articles/281...-Simon-Roberts -- first black to win an NCAA wrestling title (1957, for Iowa)

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/3568 -- African-Americans in wrestling

I understand what you are saying. I think that the issue here with Paul is that while the civil rights bill was needed he would have liked to see property owners be allowed to choose the rules for the property they own. He made the argument that if we tell them they have no say in what goes on, what is to keep people from bringing guns into bars.

Quote Originally Posted by ideamark View Post

Mark

Thank you, Mark. When one person's rights (to serve or not serve whomever they please in a privately owned establishment) conflict with another person's rights (to be treated equally, regardless of race), society must decide which person's right will overide the other. I think the choice here is clear.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.