Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul

Default Re: Rand Paul

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    I don't know for sure if it happens or not, I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen at all but I imagine it's rare. I'm not sure how someone else not speaking english is a waste of your tax dollars. If a kid grows up in Chinatown, for example, and goes to a private chinese language school how are tax dollars wasted?
    It's wasted because we aren't in China and to educate children in this country without the ability to speak the language is doing them a disservice. Why would you want to limit a child to a few segments of their own country? Will they be able to get a job here if all they can speak is chinese? Maybe, but it's limited to chinese speaking places and why do that? So, imo, not acclimenting them to their envirnonment is a waste of my tax dollars.

Here is a link for you Schlottke. I assume it's from the same one you said was legit. It points out that you do need english unless you're over 50yrs old and lived here for 20yrs.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00b92ca60aRCRD

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    That comment doesn't make sense. English IS our national language. And people in Hawaii speak it. If you choose not to learn English, where do you go to school? That is the question.

But if you do come over here legally, I am pretty damn sure you have to know english to become a citizen. So if it's not our national language, why is that? And if you can just choose not to speak the language for no reason, why can't someone choose not to serve you in their store? Most legal immigrants are proud to have earned citizenship and speak the language.
    English is by default the national language, but it is not the official language. The US does not have an official language. There has been efforts to make English the official language of the US, bt it has always been unclear what the consequences of that would be. To me it seems to be a reactionary anti-immigrant movement.
    It is clear to get anywhere personally or professionally in the US you need to learn English.
    Last edited by ODH; 05-26-2010 at 04:07 PM.

So, imo, not acclimenting them to their envirnonment is a waste of my tax dollars.
    If a kids goes to private school which doesn't use any of your tax dollars, how is his education a waste of your tax dollars?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    There has been efforts to make English the official language of the US, bt it has always been unclear what the consequences of that would be.
    I'm sure the consequences would depend on what was in the bill that declared the official language. But if we look at Irish as an example (because it's the only national language I know anything about) it would mean that government documents would have to be published in 2 languages (the official one and the one that 97% of the population speaks), schools would have to teach it through high school (and kids would have to pass a test before they graduate and never speak the language again), and the government would subsidise a national language TV channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    To me it seems to be a reactionary anti-immigrant movement.
    I couldn't agree more.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Without doing to much digging it looks like the Senate approved an amendment to an immigration bill to make English the official language, but the bill itself never passed. So the article is legit, but the headline is not.

If a kids goes to private school which doesn't use any of your tax dollars, how is his education a waste of your tax dollars?
    It isn't. But you are getting more and more "out there". I don't think Ban or you were talking about private schools that are okayed by our government. I am sure that in Ban's grandma's case travel and communication was so limited that school's like that existed. Now-a-days that isn't the case and the government has to approve a private school. I don't know of a single one where english isn't taught. Do you? And if there is, then it isn't a waste of my tax dollars, it is just a waste of 12 years for a student who won't be able to travel his/her own country and be able to communicate. Why would any parent do that to a kid?

Your tax dollars go towards public schools regardless of whether your kids go to private school.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHyX74iEZcA"]YouTube- Rand Paul To George Stephanopoulos: Criticizing BP Is Un-American And Where's My Honeymoon?[/ame]

More like a Libertarian then a true GOP member. like his father, a Libertarian viewpoint is NOT anti-civil rights BUT anti-government intervention.

His point is simply that if the government starts telling you who you MUST allow on your private property THAT opens the door to the government telling what you can do on your PRIVATE property.

He does say that the government does have the right to enforce that law on PUBLIC property as those lands are open to all people.

Anyone who tries to turn him into a racist simply because he is for the RIGHTS of land owners to do what they want with their property is disingenuous in their argument & I suspect simply creating fuel to a non-existent fire in order to keep him out of office.

In a truly enlightened constitutional republic, I believe you would not need a civil rights act. Of course that is not our current reality, however, I do not want the government telling me what to do with my property just because there are a few ignorant people discriminating.

Don't buy the hype.

While I do not particularly agree with Paul on his statement that "Maybe sometimes accidents happen" as I believe that things always have a cause & someone is responsible for it, I can understand his sentiment about the "blame game."

Real responsibility has to do with accountability not turning it into blame & fault finding. If BP committed crimes then they should be punished.

Paul said "What I don’t like from the President’s administration is this sort of, you know, I’ll put my boot heel on the throat of BP." While I do not agree so much with his assessment of the Obama Administration's handling of the oil spill, I can understand his opposition to the government taking a threatening stance as a opposed to a legal stance.

The lost platform points here are the fact that the Obama administration has used billions of tax payer's money to bail out businesses that have acted in a criminal fashion & a monetary policy that has no governmental oversight.

The Fed IS a CENTRAL bank in the hands of private individuals. It creates a FIAT currency that can be controlled not by the market place but by a small group of powerful men who us the boom & bust cycles to grab more control.

Rand & his father look to the constitution as our governmental foundation as opposed to the current condition in DC which is really a Corporatocracy, where corporate influence actually dictates policy & execution.