Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the Feds bail out tornado damaged areas?

Default Should the Feds bail out tornado damaged areas?

Why should my tax dollars go to paying for costs of tornado damage that have nothing to do with me? I don't like my tax dollars being taken for granted. It should be left up to the states or the counties.

Default Re: Should the Feds bail out tornado damaged areas?

Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Why should my tax dollars go to paying for costs of tornado damage that have nothing to do with me? I don't like my tax dollars being taken for granted. It should be left up to the states or the counties.
    Now you're baiting. I agree with your statement though.

I'm not baiting. There are many threads started by some in here that state a position and then the fur flies. That's what makes it fun.

I'm serious BTW. Living in tornado alley is a risk just like living in SF is an earthquake risk. The feds are way too quick to agree to help out a state which declares an emergency. It should be used as a last resort once everything is sorted out.

I don't want to see people die or lose their homes, but unfortunately mother nature is the boss.

I am baiting WUW... just wanted to remind you that Montreal spanked Pittsburg in the playoffs today, and you get to watch an Eastern Conference final featuring the Habs vs Boston or (probably) Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Then why have a federal government at all? If we just had a bunch of independent states, you'd never have to bail out people who have nothing to do with you - but if you needed help they'd never be there to help you either. It's Americans coming to the aid of Americans. Now foreign aid - that's another issue.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Then why have a federal government at all? If we just had a bunch of independent states, you'd never have to bail out people who have nothing to do with you - but if you needed help they'd never be there to help you either. It's Americans coming to the aid of Americans. Now foreign aid - that's another issue.
    I think we need to more narrowly define "bailing out". It deeply offends me (for example), that Fannie and Freddie are used to prop up the real estate market and to bail out "homeowners" who made bad purchase decisions. Fannie and Freddie lost over $20 billion dollars last quarter. They are both under government conservatorship, so we (all taxpayers) are on the hook. The real estate market is never going to find a bottom until the artificial props are removed and the failing loans are flushed out. People shouldn't be living in homes that they cannot afford - good things will never come of that. So, I disagree with that type of bailout.

I live in California, near a faultline. I wouldn't expect my parents in Ohio to have to help me out (via taxes) if we had a quake out here. They don't want to live in California, they don't want to live on a fault line, and they have their own problems to deal with.

On the other hand, I'm happy to send my money to the feds to fund the military, protect our borders, and a few other things.

What I'm saying is that the federal government has an obligation to protect all of its citizens. Some of these efforts (bailouts) may be ill conceived, but victims of natural disasters are deserving of government help.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Some of these efforts (bailouts) may be ill conceived, but victims of natural disasters are deserving of government help.
    I agree, but surely at some point the balance tips from 'helping victims' to 'encouraging people to take unnecessary risks'.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    I think we need to more narrowly define "bailing out". It deeply offends me (for example), that Fannie and Freddie are used to prop up the real estate market and to bail out "homeowners" who made bad purchase decisions. Fannie and Freddie lost over $20 billion dollars last quarter. They are both under government conservatorship, so we (all taxpayers) are on the hook. The real estate market is never going to find a bottom until the artificial props are removed and the failing loans are flushed out. People shouldn't be living in homes that they cannot afford - good things will never come of that. So, I disagree with that type of bailout.
    Quite a bit more to it than what just some narrow sources will lead us to believe. http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...ic_crisis.html
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.