Thread: Jim Gibbons is running for congress!

Default Jim Gibbons is running for congress!

Guys, just saw this on themat's board

gibbonsforcongress.com

I am not into politics, but I can't think of any reason not to be excited if we could get Jim into congress. Spread the word folks!

Would be even better if we could talk Gable into doing the same...

Default Re: Jim Gibbons is running for congress!

Sorry, don't forget to stick the 3 w's in front in front of the link

World Champ

This is old news. So the guy helps Wells Fargo use TARP money, and now he wants to tell us he's a fiscal reformer. Please. I can think of lots of reasons NOT to get excited. Just because someone was NCAA champ doesn't mean he can't have his head stuck in an anatomically impossible position.

I'd like Gable to run too: as an independent.

By the way, there is a politics and religion forum. Please put your political messages there.

As College Wrestling Examiner, I ran a story in late November about Jim Gibbons' announcing his run for Congress. Here's the opening...

For those who think of politics as being one big wrestling match, Jim Gibbons may be the right man to send to Washington, DC.

Gibbons, a former wrestler and coach at Iowa State University, announced that he intends to compete in the 2010 Republican primary for the third Congressional district, representing Iowa. The seat is currently held by Leonard Boswell, a Democrat who intends to run for a seventh term next fall. Dave Funk, a retired pilot, has already announced his candidacy for the GOP primary.

Gibbons, 50, told the Des Moines Register Thursday that he is leaving his job at Wells Fargo Advisors to pursue a full-time campaign. "I think anything that you do successfully, you can't do that with one foot in and one foot out," he said.

To keep reading: http://www.examiner.com/x-7334-Colle...n-for-Congress

Mark

PS I don't have a problem with this thread being here; Gibbons wrestled in college and was a coach of a major college wrestling program. But, I'm not a moderator, and certainly would understand if the thread were moved to Politics and Religion

Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    This is old news. So the guy helps Wells Fargo use TARP money, and now he wants to tell us he's a fiscal reformer. Please. I can think of lots of reasons NOT to get excited. Just because someone was NCAA champ doesn't mean he can't have his head stuck in an anatomically impossible position.

I'd like Gable to run too: as an independent.

By the way, there is a politics and religion forum. Please put your political messages there.
    Grapplefan, I hear you, but I think this might a false contradiction. Had JG been one of the folks deciding the amount of taxpayer money to set aside for TARP, I would agree with you a 100%. However, once the money has been set aside already, it is the job of everyone involved to return as much of it as possible to his own district/locale. If giving it back to the rightful owners (the taxpayers) is not an option, at least steer as much of it as possible back to your area. I am guessing this was the case with WF and our anger is better placed with those who set the money aside, not those who try to steer it once it's been taken away anyway.

I also think that even though being a former star wrestler/coach does not guarantee things in of itself, he sure as heck looks light years ahead of the incumbent Dem.

Ideamark, nice to hear from you - it's been awhile. Thanks for your help with this.

World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by judaspriest View Post
    Grapplefan, I hear you, but I think this might a false contradiction. Had JG been one of the folks deciding the amount of taxpayer money to set aside for TARP, I would agree with you a 100%. However, once the money has been set aside already, it is the job of everyone involved to return as much of it as possible to his own district/locale. If giving it back to the rightful owners (the taxpayers) is not an option, at least steer as much of it as possible back to your area. I am guessing this was the case with WF and our anger is better placed with those who set the money aside, not those who try to steer it once it's been taken away anyway.

I also think that even though being a former star wrestler/coach does not guarantee things in of itself, he sure as heck looks light years ahead of the incumbent Dem.
    No. our anger is equally well-placed on both parties. The Republicans gave us as many years of wasteful, intrusive government as the Democrats.
    Run independent. Be independent. Vote independent.