Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bi-Partisan Commission

Default Bi-Partisan Commission

There were many things to dislike about King Obama's speech this evening, but the idea to form a bipartisan commission to reduce the deficit is one of the most laughable. The democrats have been in control of everything recently, they've created a tremendously large deficit, and it's on them. Forming a bipartisan commission to reduce the deficit is just an excuse to get a few republicans on board to raise taxes to deal with the problem the D's created.

I don't recall the democrats asking for a commission to raise spending. They f'ed up the budget themselves. Sack up and fix it.

Default Re: Bi-Partisan Commission

As a STAUNCH conservative I'm pretty peeved with the republicans, who controlled EVERYTHING for a while and acted like drunken sailors on leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

I didn't get to watch the State of the Union tonight.....I would be really interested in hearing peoples take on it.

I am in Manila right now and they did have it on TV but i have to admit I blew off politics for a day and was relaxing by the pool having an ice cold beer

I know that Hulu will have it.
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    As a STAUNCH conservative I'm pretty peeved with the republicans, who controlled EVERYTHING for a while and acted like drunken sailors on leave.
    I agree completely - Bush was a big government Republican, but the D's are taking it to a whole new level. They alone exploded government spending in their first twelve months, and now they want to suck the R's into agreeing to raise taxes to pay for it all. It's a great strategy if they can pull it off, and I expect the R's will be dumb enough to follow along.

At this point, I consider myself more of a libertarian than anything. Too bad they will never win an election.

In addition to all of that, the King is now calling for a spending freeze. Uh, a little late with that new policy. That would have been a good idea twelve months ago, but calling for it now, after increasing spending to unprecedented levels, is a new level of hubris.

Calling out the supreme court was also a nice touch, and very presidential.

In addition to all of that, the King is now calling for a spending freeze. Uh, a little late with that new policy. That would have been a good idea twelve months ago, but calling for it now, after increasing spending to unprecedented levels, is a new level of hubris.
    It would have also been a good idea 24 months ago, or 36 months ago, or 48 months ago.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

I listened to a program yesterday on NPR (Diane Rehm) and one of the participants felt the target of this "deficit" commission was going to be social security. He didn't think that type of discussion should be done behind a commission's closed doors. Another participant, Alice Rivlin, denied that allegation.

However, later in the discussion she proceeded to talk about how high earners and others with "good means" could forego some social security and pay higher taxes on distributions they receive from the government. Pretty big contradiction within 20 minutes.

I can't stand these piecemeal pronouncements basically telling people what it is thought they want to hear. Do any politicians really believe what they are saying?

I've had it with commissions and task forces.

How about a task force to end a couple of wars?
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

While there was a lot to hate about the speech I thought there were some things for me to like.

What I liked
    the proposal to eliminate capitol gains tax on small and medium business.

Charge a fee on banks to repay tarp funds

I like the idea of a spending freeze if they dont things under control, if they do it

The proposal's related to student loans and debt forgiveness if you are a public servant for ten years.

Eliminating tax benefits for companies who ship jobs overseas and the idea of increasing our exports.

There were some other ideas I liked but I cant recall right now.

I did not like how he continues to blame Bush for the current situation we are in. Yes we know that he inherited a bad economy and deficit but he has done nothing to fix it. He also has not done anything to deal with unemployment, so please quit blaming other people, take responsibility and lead.

I dont like the health care proposal

I also hate that I have to see Pelosi in the background.