Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 23

Thread: Dems lose Kennedy seat.

  1. #10
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: Dems lose Kennedy seat.

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I agree, that is the message but I dont think the Dems care.
    Here is the thing about healthcare...... most don't want it changed because they are happy with theirs, and don't care about those who get hurt. Nothing wrong with that..... one should look out for ones self. I don't care whether it changes or not - if anything keep it as it is..... I know how to 'work' this system. If I need care - and I have no healthcare 0 I can just go to the ER, say I have chest pains (whether I do or not), I'll get care, they will see I need meds for BP, give me a script, which I can get filled in Mexico cheap. And I blow off the bill. It's the ER, the HAVE to treat me. If insurance doesn't fully cover the one who is insured (which it didn't/doesn't) I just ignore bills, ignore the calls I get, throw away the letters, and blow them off as well. This works well if you don't have anything to lose anyhow, and it's been over a year and it hasn't affected my Credit Cards. About the only thing it might affect is the ability to buy a car..... I have family for that. It's all just a game.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  2. #11

    Default Re: Dems lose Kennedy seat.

    Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Not real accurate my friend. Obama came in with 12 seconds left in the match needing a 5 point move.
    You are probably right in regards to the Obama move but perception a lot of times becomes reality. He/Dems misplayed this race but hindsight is always 20/20. She was out of touch with the people of her state and thought she would just walk through the election.

    On a side not I thought it was funny that she said Curt Schilling was a Yankees fan.

  3. #12

    Default Re: Dems lose Kennedy seat.

    Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    Here is the thing about healthcare...... most don't want it changed because they are happy with theirs, and don't care about those who get hurt. Nothing wrong with that.
    I'm not sure about this. I think most people would agree we need some kind of reform but where people disagree is how it should be done.

  4. #13
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Dems lose Kennedy seat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    I'm not sure about this. I think most people would agree we need some kind of reform but where people disagree is how it should be done.
    I agree with SGallan, people want reform so that it lowers their costs and incerases their coverage... it on the side it would be nice to cover some of the uninsured as well.
    The 80%+ (I think that is the right figure) who already have healthcare insurance are, in general ,not going to benefit from Healthhcare reform. I do not think there is a practical way for those peopleto have their healthcare benefits stay the same, have their costs go down and then to have more people covered at the same time.

    The reform bill is so complex that it is very difficult to understand how each of us will be impacted. The knee-jerk reaction is to oppose it because it is not obvious how it helps someone who already has healthcare.

  5. #14

    Default Re: Dems lose Kennedy seat.

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I agree with SGallan, people want reform so that it lowers their costs and incerases their coverage... it on the side it would be nice to cover some of the uninsured as well.
    The 80%+ (I think that is the right figure) who already have healthcare insurance are, in general ,not going to benefit from Healthhcare reform. I do not think there is a practical way for those peopleto have their healthcare benefits stay the same, have their costs go down and then to have more people covered at the same time.

    The reform bill is so complex that it is very difficult to understand how each of us will be impacted. The knee-jerk reaction is to oppose it because it is not obvious how it helps someone who already has healthcare.
    I agree with you to an extent....people do want to lower cost and increase their coverage (I think everyone would like this). However, outside of the cost/coverage most people realize something needs to be done. A good example would be making it easier/cheaper for those with pre-existing conditions to get quality healthcare.

    From talking with both Dems/Republicans it has to do with a lot of the one off's in the bill and the fact that the Federal government is making you buy/have insurance. Of course those talks are just with family and friends so a small data source.

  6. #15
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Dems lose Kennedy seat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    I agree with you to an extent....people do want to lower cost and increase their coverage (I think everyone would like this). However, outside of the cost/coverage most people realize something needs to be done. A good example would be making it easier/cheaper for those with pre-existing conditions to get quality healthcare.

    From talking with both Dems/Republicans it has to do with a lot of the one off's in the bill and the fact that the Federal government is making you buy/have insurance. Of course those talks are just with family and friends so a small data source.
    How are people with pre-existing conditions going to get coverage wothout it costing something? The reason insurers don't want to cover thsoe people is becasue they can cost a fortune to take care of. I don't think a solution is to just tax/regualte the hell out of the existing insurers.

    I think making people get some type of health insurance makes sense. As long as hospitals are not giong to turn away people who need treatment, we (as a society) are paying for those people's healthcare.

  7. #16

    Default Re: Dems lose Kennedy seat.

    Just like the Dems need to get off their path to HCR, the repubs need to put forth a plan other than NO NO NO. If they don't start offering some viable alternatives, they will also be looked at as not in touch.

    Tort reform for example is a ridiculous canard to feed into the trial lawyer hatred. Co-ops are a joke. Then again, the repubs always go to trial lawyers when they need help and offer a plan that won't cover the uninsured.

    Yes, things are not peachy for the dems right now but all three races (you forget NY 23) were run by very unpopular dem candidates.

    If the finance committee and the DINO's in the senate didn't hold everything up, HCR would have been much easier to sell to the public.

    I completely agree with sgallan. Most Americans don't give a shit about the have nots when it comes to HC. In their mind they will be paying exhorbitant taxes to finance illegal Mexicans and ghetto blacks. Say what you will, but that is a fact IMO-including the way some people feel in here whether you want to admit it to yourself or not.

    Don't forget, Brown is only renting that seat till 2012. You can bet your sweet bippy that he will be challenged by a much better democrat who will at least know that Schilling pitched with blood on his sock.

    I'll still take 59-41 or 54-46 for that matter. I'm not fleeing the party or my beliefs.

  8. #17
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Dems lose Kennedy seat.

    Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Just like the Dems need to get off their path to HCR, the repubs need to put forth a plan other than NO NO NO. If they don't start offering some viable alternatives, they will also be looked at as not in touch.

    Tort reform for example is a ridiculous canard to feed into the trial lawyer hatred. Co-ops are a joke. Then again, the repubs always go to trial lawyers when they need help and offer a plan that won't cover the uninsured.

    Yes, things are not peachy for the dems right now but all three races (you forget NY 23) were run by very unpopular dem candidates.

    If the finance committee and the DINO's in the senate didn't hold everything up, HCR would have been much easier to sell to the public.

    I completely agree with sgallan. Most Americans don't give a shit about the have nots when it comes to HC. In their mind they will be paying exhorbitant taxes to finance illegal Mexicans and ghetto blacks. Say what you will, but that is a fact IMO-including the way some people feel in here whether you want to admit it to yourself or not.

    Don't forget, Brown is only renting that seat till 2012. You can bet your sweet bippy that he will be challenged by a much better democrat who will at least know that Schilling pitched with blood on his sock.

    I'll still take 59-41 or 54-46 for that matter. I'm not fleeing the party or my beliefs.
    The republicans do have a plan, it involves opening up insurance for interstate commerce, tort reform and regulation of the insurance and drug companies.

    I dont think the majority dont care about the have nots, but we certainly dont want to see 20% of the nation make 80% suffer. We can fix this system, and get people coverage and we need to do that. But I dont think we should do it by handing sweet heart deals to the unions.

    Brown might only be renting that seat but this is a huge upset in the most liberal state in the union and you can not deny that. If you do then you are kidding your self. We are going to see a lot of the the liberal states come back conservative in the next elections.

  9. #18
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Dems lose Kennedy seat.

    Mass is a liberal state but has a history of electing Republican governors. The seat was solidly Democratic for years because of Kennedy and the prestige his family name has in Massachusetts. Republicans also have a history of running weak candidates for Seante because they believed the seat is not winnable.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •