Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vacation DVD Watching Expelled

Default Vacation DVD Watching Expelled

Over the last few days of vacation I have rented and watched both Religulous and Expelled. Enjoyed watching both of them for different reasons. It prompted me to look into some information on all the misinformation and lies I saw in Ben Steins Expelled and I found this paragraph from Richard Dawkins which I thought very aptly described the lying propaganda employed in Expelled:

Quote:
    The alleged association between Darwinism and Nazism is harped on for what seems like hours, and it is quite simply an outrage. We are supposed to believe that Hitler was influenced by Darwin. Hitler was ignorant and bonkers enough for his hideous mind to have imbibed some sort of garbled misunderstanding of Darwin (along with his very ungarbled understanding of the anti-semitism of Martin Luther, and of his own never-renounced Roman Catholic religion) but it is hardly Darwin's fault if he did. My own view, frequently expressed (for example in the The Selfish Gene and especially in the title chapter of A Devil's Chaplain) is that there are two reasons why we need to take Darwinian natural selection seriously. Firstly, it is the most important element in the explanation for our own existence and that of all life. Secondly, natural selection is a good object lesson in how NOT to organize a society. As I have often said before, as a scientist I am a passionate Darwinian. But as a citizen and a human being, I want to construct a society which is about as un-Darwinian as we can make it. I approve of looking after the poor (very un-Darwinian). I approve of universal medical care (very un-Darwinian). It is one of the classic philosophical fallacies to derive an 'ought' from an 'is'. Stein (or whoever wrote his script for him) is implying that Hitler committed that fallacy with respect to Darwinism. If we look at more recent history, the closest representatives you'll find to Darwinian politics are uncompassionate conservatives like Margaret Thatcher, George W Bush, or Ben Stein's own hero, Richard Nixon. Maybe all these people, along with the Social Darwinists from Herbert Spencer to John D Rockefeller, committed the is/ought fallacy and justified their unpleasant social views by invoking garbled Darwinism. Anyone who thinks that has any bearing whatsoever on the truth or falsity of Darwin's theory of evolution is either an unreasoning fool or a cynical manipulator of unreasoning fools. I will not speculate as to which category includes Ben Stein and Mark Mathis.

Default Re: Vacation DVD Watching Expelled

Here is another excellent quote about the same part of this sad effort at dishonest propoganda:

Quote:
    The most deplorable dishonesty of Expelled, however, is that it says evolution was one influence on the Holocaust without acknowledging any of the other major ones for context. Rankings of races and ethnic groups into a hierarchy long preceded Darwin and the theory of evolution, and were usually tied to the Christian philosophical notion of a 'great chain of being.' The economic ruin of the Weimar Republic left many Germans itching to find someone to blame for their misfortune, and the Jews and other ethnic groups were convenient scapegoats. The roots of European anti-Semitism go back to the end of the Roman Empire. Organized attacks and local exterminations of the Jews were perpetrated during the Crusades and the Black Plague. The Russian empire committed many attacks on the Jews in the 19th and early 20th century, giving rise to the word 'pogrom.' Profound anti-Semitism even pollutes the works of the father of the Protestant Reformation, Martin Luther, who reviled them in On the Jews and Their Lies and wrote, 'We are at fault in not slaying them.' I don't think Protestantism is accountable for the Holocaust, either, but the focus on 'the Jews' as scapegoats, and the added idea that their 'bad non-Aryan blood' had to be eliminated by killing them, were not Darwin's ideas.

And of course the infamous Wedge Document from which the movie Expelled is just part of the plan.

<!-- m -->http://libcom.org/library/wedge-documen ... gn-exposed<!-- m -->

'The Wedge' Document - Intelligent Design exposed
    In 1998, the Discovery Institute (DI), a conservative intelligent-design think-tank based in Seattle, produced the now infamous 'Wedge' document. The document was meant only for members of the DI but was leaked not long after. The Wedge describes the short and long-term goals of intelligent design advocates, not just in displacing evolution from the science curriculum in US public schools, but with the broader cultural, social, and political aim to 'reverse the stifling dominance of the materialist worldview, and to replace it with a science consonant with Christian and theistic convictions.'

Note - This is the text of the Discovery Institute's "Wedge Document," prepared in 1998. It lays out "the Wedge strategy" by which the newly-formed Center for Renewal of Science and Culture would promote "intelligent design" creationism.

THE WEDGE
    CENTER FOR THE RENEWAL OF SCIENCE & CULTURE
    INTRODUCTION
    The proposition that human beings are created in the image of God is one of the bedrock principles on which Western civilization was built. Its influence can be detected in most, if not all, of the West's greatest achievements, including representative democracy, human rights, free enterprise, and progress in the arts and sciences.

Why are you so obsessed with religion? Did you join here just to make endless arguments and personal attacks as you did on the old forum?

Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Why are you so obsessed with religion? Did you join here just to make endless arguments and personal attacks as you did on the old forum?
    LOL, WuW, LOL.

None of those comments have any truth to them. First off, I am obsessed with science and truth, not religion, that is what this thread is about.

Secondly, I do not engage in personal attacks as an instigator, but I do respond in kind to those who begin personal attacks against me. BTW, I have been a member of this site since July 2008

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshackleford View Post
    LOL, WuW, LOL.
    Agree Rusty, that was very funny. It is hard to imagine that there could be any posts more completely incorrect than that one. Oh well, he can keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshackleford View Post
    LOL, WuW, LOL.
    Pardon me for trying to read Rusty's mind...But

Why are you so obsessed with religion?
    He aint laughing at this part.

Did you join here just to make endless arguments and personal attacks as you did on the old forum?
    He's laughing because washed up wrestler does the endless argument/personal attack thing just as much if not more than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Pardon me for trying to read Rusty's mind...But

He aint laughing at this part.

He's laughing because washed up wrestler does the endless argument/personal attack thing just as much if not more than you do.

Discussions/debates/arguments all one and the same thing, are what these forums are really all about. If people would refrain from making personal attacks they would never start, at least on my part. Cannot speak for washed up, but it is a definite fact from my side.