Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

Default Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33609492...more_politics/

This is a surprising outcome to be honest. I would have thought all of the New England states would have laws supporting gay marriage. Looks like the voters of Maine had different ideas. They have not gone as far as AZ or CA passing constitutional amendments banning gay marriage, but I believe this sends the message that the people are not ready for it right now. Give it a few more years and the people of Maine will most likely fall in line with the rest of the New Englander's.

Olympic Champ

Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33609492...more_politics/

This is a surprising outcome to be honest. I would have thought all of the New England states would have laws supporting gay marriage. Looks like the voters of Maine had different ideas. They have not gone as far as AZ or CA passing constitutional amendments banning gay marriage, but I believe this sends the message that the people are not ready for it right now. Give it a few more years and the people of Maine will most likely fall in line with the rest of the New Englander's.
    It's going to take another 10 years for a good portion of old people - who vote in numbers - to die off, and the younger generation to get more politically active as they age, and a new group that will come of age, for "marraige" to be acceptable. I think in most blue states "Civil Unions" could pass like what happened in Washington.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Aren't we supposed to have checks and balances in our system to keep stuff like this from happening?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    Aren't we supposed to have checks and balances in our system to keep stuff like this from happening?
    Stuff like what? To keep gay marriage bans from happening? To keep gay marriage from happening? I could make a sound constitutional argument for each position.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Stuff like what? To keep gay marriage bans from happening? To keep gay marriage from happening? I could make a sound constitutional argument for each position.
    To keep the majority from being able to vote away the rights of a minority.

To keep the majority from being able to vote away the rights of a minority.
    I hope that was a joke. The reason there is a majority is to keep the minority from running things.

I'm guessing that was a joke, though. They need a sarcasm font so we all know sarcasm when we read it instead of just when we hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I hope that was a joke. The reason there is a majority is to keep the minority from running things.
    The founding fathers created the supreme court in order to prevent the majority from being able to violate or take away the rights of a minority. If a state voted to not let black and white kids go to the same schools, or not let hispanic people hold public office, or not let people under 5'2'' teach in public schools a court would step in, correct?

The founding fathers created the supreme court in order to prevent the majority from being able to violate or take away the rights of a minority. If a state voted to not let black and white kids go to the same schools, or not let hispanic people hold public office, or not let people under 5'2'' teach in public schools a court would step in, correct?
    Yes, you are correct. But all that is covered under "All people are created equal". Blacks, whites, legal hispanics and short people are all covered under that act. Gays are equal, too. So why do they want special coverage?

I wouldn't know that you are gay unless you tell me. If you do tell me, then why? I don't think I need special rights because I like big tittied blondes. I also don't hold parades chanting about round-assed ladies that I love. Does anyone think I should? If I did, should I deserve special treatment? Would it be a hate crime if you killed me because you like flat-chested-no-assed ladies?

Gay people are already protected. Get over it. Two men can't make a baby and neither can two women. The reason for marriage is to continue the human race. Not for tax purposes.

Gays are equal, too.
    They were equal, at least in Maine, then their rights got voted away.

So why do they want special coverage?
    How is having the same rights as everyone else 'special coverage'?

Gay people are already protected. Get over it. Two men can't make a baby and neither can two women. The reason for marriage is to continue the human race. Not for tax purposes.
    So, sterile heterosexuals shouldn't be allowed to get married?