Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TWT Server Donations Now Open

Default TWT Server Donations Now Open

In April 2007 we moved TheWrestlingTalk.com to it's own server and have experienced amazing growth - over 46,000 users have joined our community.

In the last 2 years, we have also put out some other free tools that are resource hogs (wrestling videos, dieting logs, arcade, social groups, photo albums, etc.) plus others that aren't so resource intensive.

[donate]donate[/donate]
    We ran a small fundraiser at the end of 2007 to improve the current server and we have gotten along alright since then. As traffic continues to rise and our mission to bring wrestling to every member, guest, and passer-by remains unchanged, we were left with two options.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure the exact cost of the server, but it should (hopefully) be under $15,000 total. Whatever money isn't raised will be kicked in by me personally. I'll update this page when I get an exact price quote from Dell.

Of course, it doesn't make good business sense to drop nearly $15k on new servers that are solely for tools and forum that are completely free. One option is to charge for tool usage (which isn't going to happen) and the other is to ask for donations to help cover the actual costs. Basically what it comes down to is if everyone that used the tools donated $0.25 (only once), the cost would be totally covered. Realistically, not everyone is going to donate, so for the ones that do, we are going to offer some extra things for them:

• $50 donation gives you the ability to change your user title in the forum. No Advertising for a year.

• $150 donation gives you more signature options, an "I Donated" button for your posts, the ability to change your user title, no advertising for a year.

• $500 donation gives you some free advertising on this page (see "Big Donors" section, add a banner/link), more signature options, "I Donated" button, ability to change your user title, and no advertising forever.

• Of course any donation is welcome, even if it's just $1.

Either way, if you like any of the tools, help keep them free and alive by making a donation for new servers.

[donate]donate[/donate]

Default Re: TWT Server Donations Now Open

Is this tax deductible?

I gave $10.00.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    Is this tax deductible?

I gave $10.00.
    It will be by the end of this year. TheWrestlingTalk is going to become an NPO. I don't know if donations can be counted retroactively, I will need to check with my accountant.

Thanks for the donation, hopefully by next season we will have enough to make it painless for me to make the purchase.

The server will house only TWT family websites (wrestling/mma) and I have a similar setup on a forum that has 2.4 million members & 27 million posts so we will have a lot of growth possible after this upgrade!

I was just joking about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    I was just joking about that.
    I figured you were, but it was a good question.

I am going to try and make several small donations.

Much in the same vein as Schlottke I'll wind up kicking some cash in too, once I start making money again.

Thanks to Wiltz already and anyone else who is able to help even a little bit.

Why would anyone want to change their user title?

If I did, it would be to "BanMLBaseball".
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

Chip in folks, TWT does a terrific service at a great personal expense.

Schlottke - that 15K for one server? You should be able to get decently powered Dell Poweredge rackmount servers for 3-4 grand apiece, though you likely know this. You have separate front end and DB servers?