Thread: Dutch government to lift 25-year ban on pit bulls

Default Dutch government to lift 25-year ban on pit bulls

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/080609/ap/d916m6uo2.html

i don't like the idea of BSL at all, so i was happy to see this

Olympic Champ

Default Re: Dutch government to lift 25-year ban on pit bulls

What is BSL?

oh, sorry. Breed Specific Legislation -- so bans on pitbulls, German Shepherds, etc. Non-legislative stuff such as insurance having blacklisted breeds bothers me as well.

Olympic Champ

I assume your objection then is limited to dogs, and not to wild animals (I believe most gov'ts in the U.S. prohibit these).

Yes. "Breed" is a word I believe is limited to domesticated animals, where as "species" I believe would be the word used to describe banning the capture of wild animals.

For what it is worth, though, i do feel pulled both ways (pro and con) about keeping some wild animals captive merely for hobby. For example, as long as the species is not threatened in anyway, I would not object to people capturing a wild snake and breeding it if it had a unique pattern or something and no great harm was done in the process. Of course if many people did this and there was environmental damage I would want to ban the practice altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by _SL_ View Post
    Yes. "Breed" is a word I believe is limited to domesticated animals, where as "species" I believe would be the word used to describe banning the capture of wild animals.
    I know it's nit-picky, but from a biological perspective (which could differ widely from the legislative perspecitve) a breed is a subset of a species. A species is a group of animals which can produce viable offspring, so since a lab and a retriever can have puppies they are the same species but different breeds.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

The article says the government is lifting a 25-year ban that began in 1993. Hmmm....
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    I know it's nit-picky, but from a biological perspective (which could differ widely from the legislative perspecitve) a breed is a subset of a species. A species is a group of animals which can produce viable offspring, so since a lab and a retriever can have puppies they are the same species but different breeds.
    i was not sure about this, b/c for example I could breed different (at least I thought) species of snakes to produce viable hybrids. I cannot think of an example for mammals, so maybe things are different for herps.

Quote Originally Posted by ISU2008 View Post
    The article says the government is lifting a 25-year ban that began in 1993. Hmmm....
    good catch