Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nike Leaves The Track Again...

Default Nike Leaves The Track Again...

Watching the NBC "Today" show this morning... they had a segment talking to two would-be members of the US swimming team (apparently their Trials are coming up soon, too)... and Matt Lauer brought up the "Nike controversy" -- that the shoemaker has apparently entered the pool with a "speedier Speedo" bodysuit that some US swimmers will be using in Beijing...

Now... what is Nike doing making swimsuits?

Then again, what is Nike doing making wrestling gear? Or golf equipment? Whatever happened to the notion of "sticking to your knitting?"

(Converse-ly, why doesn't Speedo or Cliff Keen or Titleist make running shoes?)

Nike getting into all these other businesses reminds me of those crazy conglomerates of the 1960s like ITT that owned weapon-system makers, Avis car rental, Sheraton hotels and telecommunications service providers.

It's the complete opposite of what today's corporate business model of spinning off core businesses, such as GE getting rid of its major appliance division. Maybe we'll have Nike refrigerators in our kitchens before we know it...

Mark

Default Re: Nike LeavesThe Track Again...

That would be great to see a Nike swoosh on my refrigerator!
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Well a fridge is a bit of a far step from speedos... Nike sells athletic gear, they shouldn't be limited to "Basketball" or "Track" just because that is originally what made them popular.

Speedo and Cliff Keen probably realize the pendulum does not swing both ways... Nike is just a much larger marketing machine than both and can probably enter just about every market.

Yeah, Nike jumped into the cutting edge athletic apparel game a long time ago. Moisture wicking was their idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    Yeah, Nike jumped into the cutting edge athletic apparel game a long time ago. Moisture wicking was their idea.
    Not so fast there Blue. I've been using moisture wicking Wigwam socks and tees for backpacking for over 30 years now. Under Armour was the first to make the form fitting sports clothing with Nike stealing that idea too.

Come to think of it, every product that Nike has ever sold has been a copy cat. There's no originality in that firm.

Oh, I don't buy the crap, but Nike has always been big on "innovation." (Which of course means stealing from the little guy.) Nike's stuff is overpriced, poorly made, oh, and they don't support wrestling. Not worth the time to pick it up in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    Oh, I don't buy the crap, but Nike has always been big on "innovation." (Which of course means stealing from the little guy.) Nike's stuff is overpriced, poorly made, oh, and they don't support wrestling. Not worth the time to pick it up in the store.
    Which is why whenever you are near a black market you must purchase these:

I don't buy Nike at all - don't own a single "Swoosh".

Went yesterday to the "outlet mall" to buy a pair of athletic shoes. The Adidas store was mostly shoes made in China. I won't buy them. Some of their shoes were made in Vietnam, Indonesia, and Taiwan, but none fit me right. I went to Reebok, and every single shoe in the store was made in China. As I was leaving, I mentioned this to my wife and a clerk at the store said, "Well, what did you expect?" I responded that I do not knowingly purchase goods made in China and he said "That's what you get."
    I went next door to Famous Brands and found a pair of New Balance - made in the USA.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

well, fyi many New Balance shoes are not made in the USA so you have to check the shoe itself.