Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cho's Manifesto

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Default Cho's Manifesto

Media has reached a new low. Airing the murderer's multimedia video.

I don't know what to do. This is a disgrace.

I just picture the future sadistic murderers of america watching this and making out their own documentaries to be aired after breaking the televised, overly emphasized RECORD for shooting fatalities.

NBC, CNN, ABC & all others: I hope you can't sleep at night. You have perpetuated and fueled the fire of killing spree fame. I'm sickened.
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Part of the justification Matt Lauer gave on the Today Show was that if they didn't air it, the sleaze media would have gotten it anyway. He said that they agonized over the decision, and there was not complete agreement as to the proper way to handle it.

It kind of reminds me of how when a fan runs onto the field, the cameras turn away so he won't get the exposure he's looking for. I agree with this approach, but I'm not so sure that the next madman would be any less motivated if the video weren't shown. He knows that he still will get plenty of publicity and his story will be told.

Bottom line: I may just be a naive viewer, but I don't think the offense was quite as heinous as you do. I thnk the networks were motivated by the public's right to know, and not just ratings - although I'm sure ratings played a part in their decision.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I agree with spider here. If it wouldn't have been at least shown in excerpts, it would have been leaked out somehow. Someone would take a payoff and mail a dupe copy of the kid's DVD to some tabloid and then what? We give the sleaze rags a jump on reputable media.

Personally, I'm sick of the entire thing. I'm not going to watch his videos, I'm not going to read his "manifesto" -- I've made up my mind enough about this piece of trash that I'm not going to buy into finding out "what made him tick".

The issue now is restraint. I'm not going to perpetuate Cho's sick way by reading or viewing his stuff, and those of us that are disgusted by it, shouldn't either. It's a simple choice.

But good ol' Grips, it's hard to rationalize with groups of people that want to hate the media so much when they've never been on the side that has to make the tough decision or sat in on a newsroom meeting discussing the ramifications and pros and cons of releasing something.

So you don't release it and the public is screaming "right to know, right to know" and if you do release it, you hear arguments like yours.

I'll disagree in principle on this, but that doesn't mean I'm scouring the net to find this stuff.

It's like TV, don't like it, change the channel. Don't want to read Cho's maninfesto? Don't.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

My own personal flaw is a general (not always, but most often) failure to sympathize with the media. I don't take into account alot of the "need to know" aspect.

I hear what both of you are saying. "Don't like it, Don't watch it" (sounds a lot like an abortion quote I've heard....). But I also fancy myself a bit more informed and free thinking than most. I form my opinions about media releases and develop my own take. I think alot of people take news stories as fact and even believe 100% into interpretations and propaganda.

I don't like to think about the simple minded being at the mercy of the media. Never has sat well.

I still feel the coverage should not have been aired. And I'm also not willing to take "the sleaze media would have gotten it anyway" so lightly. The tape was mailed to NBC and then turned over to authorities. If the effort was in place to dock that footage, it is possible that it could have been done (anyone see steve irwin's death yet?)

See what you're saying. The line is quite fine.

Grips,

I agree with you that this is not a "don't like it - don't watch it" issue. The issue is whether more good would come of publicizing it (good to include the right of the public to see it), or of supressing it. Good point about Steve Irwin's death and you are right that it's a fine line.

BTW, I was and always am disgusted when friends and relatives of the deceased are interviewed. What the hell do you expect them to say? We are well aware of their grief and don't need this intrusion into their privacy to highlight the gravity of the atrocity.

anyone see steve irwin's death yet?

Great point. There is a way to keep this off the air. If the police had been mailed this instead of NBC, do you think they'd turn it over the the news networks so they could broadcast it?

I think it's more a matter of good taste than people imitating him. They published the Unabomber's Manifesto, and I don't remember a surge in mail bombs.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

"If the police had been mailed this instead of NBC, do you think they'd turn it over the the news networks so they could broadcast it?"

That's why Cho mailed it to NBC, who claims they turned it over to the FBI and then got it back from them.
    Last edited by Spider; 04-19-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post

BTW, I was and always am disgusted when friends and relatives of the deceased are interviewed. What the hell do you expect them to say? We are well aware of their grief and don't need this intrusion into their privacy to highlight the gravity of the atrocity.
    Another good point.

"FAMILY OF VICTIM STRICKEN WITH GRIEF"

Wow....great headline ABC. Way to break the news.

Good point there grips.

Another thing I can't stand is people talking down about these kids they put on TV regarding their education.

"That kid is a senior in college? Jeez, who teaches these kids how to talk."

Well, not everyone knows how to speak infront of a camera, let alone be aware of holding back any explitives when a situation has just occurred. If you're cool and calm in front of the camera, you're not the right person to be there.

There was a point last night where John King of CNN wiped away, what I perceived to be, a fake tear. Almost scripted -- if anyone's seen "Broadcast News" they might know what I'm talking about. It was live, but still seemed very fabricated.

There's all sorts of problems with the media, especially in the world of 24/7 news, that's why I spent last night watching South Park and the infomercial for the Magic Bullet again.