Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Break In!!

Default Home Break In!!

So my 17 year old nephew is laying in bed for about 20 minutes. He is the only one home. My sister is out of town with his younger sister. His older brother is out of town with his girlfriend. He hears a noise. He grabs his shotgun and loads 2 shells. He walks over to the top of the steps and sees someone peak around the corner looking up at him. He unloads both shells in the closet door at the bottom of the steps. Apparently the person cut the screen in the back of the home and then broke the safety latches on the window. Apparently the dude went back out of the window, but at a faster speed than he came in it.

Default Re: Home Break In!!

Did he bother to ask who's there? Was he absolutely sure that the front door wasn't accidentally left unlocked and someone like a friend, neighbor, or confused drunk didn't let themselves in? Is he mature enough at 17 to be trusted with a loaded shotgun?
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

NCAA Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Did he bother to ask who's there? Was he absolutely sure that the front door wasn't accidentally left unlocked and someone like a friend, neighbor, or confused drunk didn't let themselves in? Is he mature enough at 17 to be trusted with a loaded shotgun?
    Don't know about the questions above, but apparently he's a bad shot, he missed.

My 17 year old nephew just graduated from high school. He will be 18 next month. He has been hunting since he was 10. He has taken and also gives safety courses to teens on hunting safety.

He locked the front door when he got home. And he went around and checked all the windows and doors after the dude left. All were locked except the one he came through.

Quote Originally Posted by tpay
    Don't know about the questions above, but apparently he's a bad shot, he missed.
    He has taken out several deer as he is an experienced hunter. He shot to scare. He put 2 holes in the closet door at the bottom of the stairs.

Does he teach teens to shoot first and ask questions later? Does his safety course include "shots to scare?"

Quote Originally Posted by Whippet#2 View Post
    My 17 year old nephew just graduated from high school. He will be 18 next month. He has been hunting since he was 10. He has taken and also gives safety courses to teens on hunting safety.

He locked the front door when he got home. And he went around and checked all the windows and doors after the dude left. All were locked except the one he came through.

He has taken out several deer as he is an experienced hunter. He shot to scare. He put 2 holes in the closet door at the bottom of the stairs.
    The only problem I have is that he only loaded two shells and shot them both just to scare. Why not load that third in case dude didn't get scared?

Does he teach teens to shoot first and ask questions later? Does his safety course include "shots to scare?"
    When your life is in danger, I would do the same. Shoot first and ask questions later. Their home was invaded. He cut through the screen and broke the safety latches on the window. Not just some drunk and not a neighbor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wes Shot.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	3112

Quote Originally Posted by Whippet#2 View Post
    When your life is in danger, I would do the same. Shoot first and ask questions later. Their home was invaded. He cut through the screen and broke the safety latches on the window. Not just some drunk and not a neighbor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wes Shot.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	3112
    . . . which he didn't know until after the fact. I don't want to belabor this too much, but unless there is more to the story than what's in the first post, your nephew's reaction seems irresponsible to me. I'm not a cop or security expert, but I've heard many stories about how this type of reaction ends in family tragedy. Was there a phone upstairs? Was the intruder threatening his life? If he had called 911, maybe the intruder would be in jail now instead of perhaps in someone else's house. I think there are many wiser alternatives than the one he took, but I'm glad it ended with nothing more than minor property damage.

. . . which he didn't know until after the fact. I don't want to belabor this too much, but unless there is more to the story than what's in the first post, your nephew's reaction seems irresponsible to me. I'm not a cop or security expert, but I've heard many stories about how this type of reaction ends in family tragedy. Was there a phone upstairs? Was the intruder threatening his life? If he had called 911, maybe the intruder would be in jail now instead of perhaps in someone else's house. I think there are many wiser alternatives than the one he took, but I'm glad it ended with nothing more than minor property damage.
    I am also glad that only property damage occurred. You cannot talk on the phone and defend yourself at the same time. The elapsed time between the break in and the shots being fired was about 3 to 4 minutes. The stairs are approximately 20 feet from the window that the uninvited visitor came in. He heard the window being damaged. It was not the sound of a door opening. If he had called 911 he could have been dead waiting on an answer and authorities to arrive. The intruder was already getting ready to go up the stairs where he was at.

Hind sight is always 20/20. I cannot blame anyone for their actions when put in a situation where they believe their life is in danger.