Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big's response to notorious accusations

Olympic Champ

Default Big's response to notorious accusations

For all those that disliked me and my discussions I will just quote J.S. Mill on the subject of opinion and expression:

"With regard to what is commonly meant by intemperate discussion, namely invective, sarcasm, personality and the like, the denunciation of these weapons would deserve more sympathy if it were ever proposed to interdict them equally to both sides but it is only desired to restrain the employment of them against the prevailing opinion: against the unprevailing they may not only be used without general disapproval, but it will be likely to obtain for him who uses them the praise of honest zeal and righteous indignation."

NCAA Champ

Default Re: Big's response to notorious accusations

Hogwash

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    For all those that disliked me and my discussions I will just quote J.S. Mill on the subject of opinion and expression:

"With regard to what is commonly meant by intemperate discussion, namely invective, sarcasm, personality and the like, the denunciation of these weapons would deserve more sympathy if it were ever proposed to interdict them equally to both sides but it is only desired to restrain the employment of them against the prevailing opinion: against the unprevailing they may not only be used without general disapproval, but it will be likely to obtain for him who uses them the praise of honest zeal and righteous indignation."
    Yikes! Mill is evidently not an easy read.

That has to be a run-on sentence.

"against the unprevailing they may not only be used without general disapproval, but it will be likely to obtain for him who uses them the praise of honest zeal and righteous indignation."

Mill says I should be praised! Zealously praised! INDIGNANTLY PRAISED!!

How come it hasn't happened for me yet? Instead I get disagreement and an admonishment regarding my morning coffee.

Actually this might be all wrong. I may have misinterpreted Mill.
    Last edited by LkwdSteve; 11-06-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Back to Big.

Since Big holds an "unprevailing opinion" (on things of a non-wrestling nature), Mill is saying that employing "invective and sarcasm" against him is worthy of praise. Though Big may disaprove of such intemperence, the general public will not (disapprove).

Yes, although Mill says sarcasm against an unpopular opinion is generally welcomed by the masses, and whereas one would generally suspect that the popular opinion in intellectual affairs is subject to question, he does not actually make that claim. See, even JS Mill thinks ragging on Big is on the up and up.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Olympic Champ

"against the unprevailing they may not only be used without general disapproval, but it will be likely to obtain for him who uses them the praise of honest zeal and righteous indignation."

Mill is saying that employing "invective and sarcasm" against him is worthy of praise.

You are wrong. Mill is not stating his opinion here. He is describing what happens.

He is basically saying that whatever the promoter of unpopular opinion does is often denounced but praised by society when the same tactics are employed by the promoter of a popular opinion.

Mill's opinion is that an unpopular opinion, even if wrong, is vital to finding the truth and the promoter of the unpopular opinion, if anything, should be welcomed as a source with whose help the popular opinion can be either strengthened, modified or denied.

Olympic Champ

Let me see if I understand this: does the publically-approved intemperence campaign against Big mean we can utilize sarcastic, invective-filled drunken rants as the mood fits us, and be praised?