Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I must love my job

Default I must love my job

Yesterday (Christmas day, for those of you with short memories) I arrived at the facility at 0540. I left at 2220 (10:20PM for those not used to military time). I spent the first 8 hours on the lock-down unit. The second 8 were dedicated to a one-on-one suicide prevention watch on the psychiatric unit. What a wonderful Christmas!

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Default Re: I must love my job

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Yesterday (Christmas day, for those of you with short memories) I arrived at the facility at 0540. I left at 2220 (10:20PM for those not used to military time). I spent the first 8 hours on the lock-down unit. The second 8 were dedicated to a one-on-one suicide prevention watch on the psychiatric unit. What a wonderful Christmas!
    Thanks for doing what you do!
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

I couldn't think of a wisecrack response, so I'll echo Whippet's comment.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

You guys make it really hard to be appropriately curmudgeonly. However - I got STUCK AGAIN TODAY for a 16 hour day - the first 8 watching the SAME A$$HOLE on suicide watch and the second 8 on a high-core (not stupid enough to be on the lock-down, but too stupid to be with the regular prisoners).
    The night of the 26th we had a guy make a really serious attempt at killing himself. The night staff did his hall check at 0330 and returned to his desk. His report says he "heard a noise" but he told some of us that he didn't know what it really was - he just felt that something wasn't right. He went back down the hall at 0338 and the ward had wrapped a home-made rope (torn strips from a pillowcase woven toghether) around his neck and fastened it to something in his cell sufficient to cause strangulation. The night staff do not have keys to the cells - for security's sake. He immediately radioed for assistance and security staff arrived very quickly. As soon as the first security arrived they unlocked the door, grabbed the guy around the waist, and lifted him to take the strain off his neck. As additional personnel arrived he was cut down and the litigure was removed. He had no pulse and no respiration. CPR was immediately initiated. Paramedics arrived and transported him to a nearby hospital. I found out this evening that he has been released from the local hospital and transported to Patton State Hospital - a psychiatric facility.
    Without the night staff's "feeling" that something was wrong, the security back-up's quick response, and the trained professionalism of the follow-up staff this young man would have died. The night Youth Correctional Officer is a true hero and I am looking forward to shaking his hand and telling him so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I couldn't think of a wisecrack response, so I'll echo Whippet's comment.
    Wow, Spider at a loss for words! I guess dogs and spiders do get along occasionally.

Spider, Thanks for being willing to smell people's bad breath all day long!!
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

Quote Originally Posted by WhippetGrappler View Post
    Spider, Thanks for being willing to smell people's bad breath all day long!!
    It's like going to a buffet for eight hours.

M, you do deserve high praise for doing a difficult job with integrity and compassion. I just drill 'em, fill 'em and bill 'em.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Mark I feel your pain, while I did not have to work this year on Christmas or Christmas Eve last year on Christmas eve I worked 16 hrs and then on Christmas day I worked an 18 hr shift 0700-0100. Christmas time in a lock up facility can be very trying for the staff and the clients both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Spider - not much different than me. I spray'em up, cuff'em up, and lock'em up.
    Snakem - it is difficult in correctional facilities around the holidays. The guy I was detailed to on suicide watch had gotten 100% guarentees from his family - an hour away - that they would visit on the weekend prior (Dec 22/23). They didn't show. When he called, they didn't answer the phone. He's 19. I wonder why he felt like he needed additional attention?
    The guy that attempted suicide is O.K. He is a serious nut-case that is under investigation for some stuff that he pulled while incarcerated at another facility. They transferred him to us (after dropping his classification two levels) 10 days before Christmas.
    When you look at the individuals, and the circumstances that lead them to prison, it is pretty easy to feel sorry for the prisoners. Their lives, for the most part, have been absolute crap. However, when you look at their victims, that sorrow turns to bitter resentment. This guy got screwed over in the transfer - but not nearly as badly screwed as his crime victim who was murdered in cold blood.

Mike
    Being serious here . They labeled me as PPP since I wasn't supposed to b locked up and felt if they wanna F with me i'll F back --So this one CO kept saying I don't care about you or any other convict-all I can guarantee is I'm going home in 4 hours-so I'd hit the first inmate I saw in the mouth just to force a lock down
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.