Thread: Why do we do this?

Default Why do we do this?

It's not quite 4:30 in the morning. I am about to leave for a wrestling tournament. I don't expect to be home until after 10 tonight. Somebody explain to me (and my wife) why we do this?

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Default Re: Why do we do this?

We're idiots . . . but we're the best idiots on earth!
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I can't anymore-I wish I could tho..what spider said .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

One word...... "DEDICATION"
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

Spider - you are right. And we proved to be double idiots. I just got home from a very expensive and, without question, the most poorly run tournament I have ever attended. To give an idea, they arranged for a young lady to do the National Anthem - and she nailed it. But they didn't have a flag! "I pledge allegience to the blank place on the wall . . . ." Started late - bout room was a total SNAFU - long, long, long! periods with dead mats, and they charged $12 for parking (one of my parent's vehicles was vandalized in the parking structure) and $10 to get in.
    Good luck getting coaches to commit next year!

Was it their first try, or is this a yearly event?
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

hopefully, this was their first year. Getting bout sheets out is paramount to a successful tournament.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

It was their first year in So. Cal - but "Megatron" has put on wrestling and MMA shows before. They were saved by the officials - about 1/2 way through they started sending a whole weight class to a mat where one of the refs would figure out who needed to wrestle who on a paper bracket and assign bouts. These guys did a magnificent job of saving the tourney organizers' a$ses.
    They bit off a huge chunk - a Varsity women's tourney, Men's Varsity, JV, and Frosh tourneys, and a youth tourney - simultaneously at one venue. Thirty two mats on one floor. It would have been something to remember if they had pulled it off - but it was like no one knew how much work a tournament is. It felt like they were trying to do this on the fly. As it turned out - it was something to remember, and avoid.