Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Default Re: Hurricane Sandy

Time to play top this.....2 trees down, both leafless maples, yet my mighty oaks laiden with leaves are still flying. Constant roar like a passing train inside the house.

Landfall is expected within the hour so the wind should begin to pick up.

Good luck Jensen, the eye is baring down on you.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

just read a twitter update which said lower Manhatan was submerged , a shark in NJ and some fancy new bridge and carousel was washed away.
    Survive or die-up to you.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Lots of flood damage in all the surrounding cities. Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Hampton, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and Newport News. Fortunately, we survived with just 3 1/2 hours of power outage tonight after 3 long days of solid rain. Today was the windiest and had the most rain.
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

We are getting photos of streets in New York with cars submerged up to their headlights. What happens in the subways when there is that much water in the streets?

Good luck to all of you.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

We were very lucky. Power is out (I'm on my Droid) but no flood or hurricane damage.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

NYC - absolute disaster, the storm surge flew over the sea walls and flooded the tunnels, subways and underground parking on the south side. They don't when the rail and subways will be back up because of the salt water contamination.

NJ shore- hammered. The bays back flooded from the tidal surge than the coastal waves causing more damage than that to the ocean front. There are ocean fronts on pilings with 6-8 feet of sand washed out from underneath. What was an 8 ft stairway is now a 6-8 ft jump up to the first step.

The worse damage is inland. I have a circuitous route to get out of town taking 25 minutes which normally takes 10 minutes with traffic lights. Near every block has a tree that took down a power line. Essentially the power companies will need to rebuild 25-33% of the overhead lines. That excludes lines from the pole to the home, that is the responsibility of the home owner and probably 25 % of home power feeds are down.

Power is up on the genny, but fuel is the issue now. 2 days 10 gals and I'll be out mid AM tomorrow which means a 30-40 minute drive to a gas station with power. Note to self, buy more gas cans and fill them up.

As you, can see I have internet access...really freaky in that with all of the downed power lines, the Verizon cable lines survived. We're sittin here with heat, hot water, cable tv and internet all driven b the genny. Yes more fuel is an absolute must.

If any of your friends are in the tree trimming business there is a ton of money to be had in NJ. All of the locals have town and power company contracts. Last year it was 3 months before they started taking homeowner work. The command for bucks is BIG for the work. Myself and 12 of my neighbors can be had in a single agreement. We're talking the entire central / north portion of the state and no business license is required....just a deal for disposal of the chips and stumps.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.