Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: USADA to Ban/Strip Lance Armstrong

Default Re: USADA to Ban/Strip Lance Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    I sympathize with your point of view. The obvious issue is that great athletes who want to be the best, but don't want to sacrifice their future health through drug use, would be at a big disadvantage (as many already are.)
    Clearly there needs to be a sarcastic font. I thought when I mentioned age of consent laws, it would be obvious. My fault.

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Even better, why have any limits at all? I am sure runners could be much faster if they had prosthetic assistance - perhaps some form of exoskeleton, powered framework. In fact, most sports would be enhanced if we weren't limited to just the human body. How far could long jumpers go if they used jet packs? Powered pole vaulting. The atlatle javelin throw and onager shot put. Powered bicycles! Flippers on the swimmers - or powered sleds! I see no reason to rely on mere human capabilities.
    Now that's MY idea of the Olympics!
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

My sticking point with Armstrong's assumed guilt...

From what I remember from reading his book years ago, Lance was an endurance phenom as a teenager. His lung capacity was tested as a teen and was off the charts. His resting heart rate was/is in the 30's!

It seems to me that most performance enhancing drug users have a spike in performance. ie. Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, Floyd Landis.

Lance was always one of the best in the world at endurance. (except for the cancer years). He has measurable freakish genetic traits that have always been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post
    My sticking point with Armstrong's assumed guilt...

From what I remember from reading his book years ago, Lance was an endurance phenom as a teenager. His lung capacity was tested as a teen and was off the charts. His resting heart rate was/is in the 30's!

It seems to me that most performance enhancing drug users have a spike in performance. ie. Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, Floyd Landis.

Lance was always one of the best in the world at endurance. (except for the cancer years). He has measurable freakish genetic traits that have always been there.
    Yes but he is not competing against ordinary slobs. His competition is world class athletes with their own outstanding natural talents.
    To make this defense sound you have to assume that his freakish genetic gifts are that much better than everyone else in the world and that the #2 rider, even with all his natural talent and the use of PEDs could not beat Lance seven years in a row.
    If it was not such a dirty sport, I would find his innocence more believable.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Yes but he is not competing against ordinary slobs. His competition is world class athletes with their own outstanding natural talents.
    To make this defense sound you have to assume that his freakish genetic gifts are that much better than everyone else in the world and that the #2 rider, even with all his natural talent and the use of PEDs could not beat Lance seven years in a row.
    If it was not such a dirty sport, I would find his innocence more believable.
    So he is guilty by association? Because others are doing he then he must be doing it too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    So he is guilty by association? Because others are doing he then he must be doing it too?
    I am not convicting him or saying this is definitive evidence. Just in my mind, I believe it is likely that he was doping.

My main point is that his career didn't have peaks and valleys. He was basically always the best. Did he always cheat?

It doesn't make sense that he cheated more than anyone else while being tested and scrutinized more than anyone else. Yet there is no evidence. Meanwhile, everyone else is failing tests.

Maybe he really is that gifted?