Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid MFing parents !!

Default Re: Stupid MFing parents !!

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I'm pretty sure that just leaving them alone is considered endangerment/neglect/whatever, but a hot car just makes the offense worse.
    Well then my parents owe the state a little time from back in the 70's and 80's. I used to act up so I wouldn' t have to go in the store. Mom would leave the radio on as she grocery shopped and dad would just threaten my life if I got out of the car while he was BS'ing with someone at the little shops he would stop by.

I'm sure you experienced the same stuff. It just seems sad to me that kids can' t be left alone at any time anymore. Not talking about a hot car, I'm just saying that an over protective society is not good for imagination and problem solving skills that become essential as an adult.

My childhood was the same. While our parents weren't very overprotective, I'm sure there were just as many child abductions and other tragedies as there are now. The question is how much freedom you are willing to give up for safety. You have to reach a prudent balance, and everyone has a different idea of what's prudent.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

We always felt perfectly comfortable that we wouldn't raise wimpy, overly dependent kids by not keeping them in hot cars and not letting them burn themselves on the stove.

Both are still doing well at ages 23 and 21.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    We always felt perfectly comfortable that we wouldn't raise wimpy, overly dependent kids by not keeping them in hot cars and not letting them burn themselves on the stove.

Both are still doing well at ages 23 and 21.
    As I said earlier, creating kids and raising them are two unrelated skills. Sometimes the law has to protect children from parents who lack the judgement to make intelligent decisions, and, yes, sometimes it goes a little too far. Last year, I left my two granddaughters ages 5 and 7 in a locked car on a cool day for two minutes while I ran into a store right next to the car. If anyone broke into the car or even if the kids unlocked it from the inside, the alarm would have gone off. When I got home, my wife told me that if a cop had driven by, I could have been arrested.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    As I said earlier, creating kids and raising them are two unrelated skills. Sometimes the law has to protect children from parents who lack the judgement to make intelligent decisions, and, yes, sometimes it goes a little too far. Last year, I left my two granddaughters ages 5 and 7 in a locked car on a cool day for two minutes while I ran into a store right next to the car. If anyone broke into the car or even if the kids unlocked it from the inside, the alarm would have gone off. When I got home, my wife told me that if a cop had driven by, I could have been arrested.
    Thats the type of thing I'm referring to. I don' t think for a second that I was neglected for being left alone. I also remember that when I was growing up and my parents brought us to a friends house that they were visiting, we were always told to go play. Never once would they sit us down in the same room and begin to have "adult time."

These days people seem to treat their kids as intellectually equal when it comes to conversation but then freak out if a kid is a few blocks from home without supervision during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Thats the type of thing I'm referring to. I don' t think for a second that I was neglected for being left alone. I also remember that when I was growing up and my parents brought us to a friends house that they were visiting, we were always told to go play. Never once would they sit us down in the same room and begin to have "adult time."

These days people seem to treat their kids as intellectually equal when it comes to conversation but then freak out if a kid is a few blocks from home without supervision during the summer.
    Some of it depends on where you are raising your kids. I don't have any so this is subjective. I grew up in a town of about 2000 people. I was allowed to run all over the place as long as I didnt cross main street, until I was a little older. You could walk through everyones backyard and the neighbors would just wave and yell hi. Never once felt like I should be concerned for my safety. Now I live in Des Moines. I love living here. It is a great place. However, I wouldn't let my kids roam around here like I did when I was a kid. Too many attempted abductions in the area and I don't know everyone in the town. My kids wouldnt be able to walk through a single back yard because everyone has fences. They say good fences make good neighbors, but I say that good fences make good neighbors into strangers. One advantage to a bigger city is that not everyone is into your business, but the advantage to a small town is that everyone is into your business. My parents used to hire babysitters for us but they werent really needed unless it was for after dark and we were to be inside. They were just to watch and make sure we didnt burn the house down, not protect us from others.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

A five year old left in a parked car with the engine off and windows up with a temp > 100 F is going to be a problem no matter if it's New York City or Amana, Iowa (population 1700). Otherwise I agree with you the circumstances dictate whether the elements are met for endangerment.

My wife left our daughter unattended in the car for < 5 minutes while she ran into Barnes & Noble. When she returned to the car she was met by an irate woman who felt my wife was a mass murder. My wife waited for the cops to arrive and sorted things out and went on her way. Our daughter was 14 years old but some super citizens just refuse to let common sense get in their way.

Herk, I guess you and I grew up in the same sort of town. I've never lived in a big city so I guess I don't think like they do. I always assume a kid in a car is just there for a few minutes and I happened upon them during one of those minutes. Just like pm said about his wife's situation. Maybe I am full of small town naivity (sp?) but I always assume someone else can take care of their own children better than me jumping into a situation where I don't know the entire story.