Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

I'm really digging the fencing. First time I've ever really watched it. I have the uncontrollable urge to stab someone.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I just don't want to screw up and be unable to go to work the next day.
    So long as you've got some semblance of kinesthetic awareness and some familiarity with weights (which you say you have) you should be alright in terms of not injuring yourself so long as you don't overreach on your first day. Put some weight on the bar that you know you can handle comfortably and just go to work.

If you progress to a certain point form tweaks can get kind of tricky but just starting out most people over think things. In their most basic forms the Olympic lifts are really just a deadlift and a jump. So long as you keep the bar close to your body and don't bend your arms early you can go quite a ways just starting off.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Most I've ever benched was 275 back when I was 19, most I've done recently was 265 about a year ago.

Pulled a 460 deadlift again about a year ago and haven't really worked to a 1RM on the movement since then.

Snatched 207 for a new record just today, I'd been stuck on 205 for almost a year.
    Those are really decent numbers . The gym and the wrestling room are the 2 things I miss most .back in the day I had a 390 bench , a 610 DL and a 650 squat . Now i use a 2 lb dumbbell
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I'm really digging the fencing. First time I've ever really watched it. I have the uncontrollable urge to stab someone.
    I did some fencing when I was in high school. It's really fun.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Those are really decent numbers . The gym and the wrestling room are the 2 things I miss most .back in the day I had a 390 bench , a 610 DL and a 650 squat . Now i use a 2 lb dumbbell
    Did you specifically train for PL? The only reason I ask is the higher squat number than deadlift.

Obviously those are awesome numbers regardless.

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

So I didn't get to see it this morning, but pretty cool that Andy Murray was able to win Gold in his home country knocking off Djokovic and Federer in consecutive matches.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    I did some fencing when I was in high school. It's really fun.
    Back in the 90's my buddies and I would go on an annual snow skiing vacation. The place we stayed offered bus rides to the slopes for free. So there we would be in full ski gear at the bus stop. It never failed. A ski pole fencing match would always break out. We had no idea what we were doing but it was fun.

Is fencing a HS sport in Canada or just something you tried on your own?

Bolt with an absurd 9.87 in his 100 meter semi, jogged the last 25 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Did you specifically train for PL? The only reason I ask is the higher squat number than deadlift.

Obviously those are awesome numbers regardless.
    Yea , I competed for several years at regional contests . My body type is endomorph and i get huge and strong pretty quickly .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.