Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto reviews wanted

Default Auto reviews wanted

Anyone own an AWD or 4WD auto that you are really happy with? I'm looking for a new auto for outdoors stuff. Something that has room to haul kayaks and camping gear but also gets decent gas mileage. Would love to hear pros and cons from anyone who has such a vehicle.

Default Re: Auto reviews wanted

You list a lot of superlatives there. What do you define as "good" mileage? Also are you looking for a car with a roof rack? SUV? Truck with a bed to put your gear into?

I have a 1/2 ton Silverado that I like a lot. It has the extended cab (not a true 4 door but it has the two suicide doors) and a 6 1/2 foot bed. I am looking to get a 3/4 ton with a true 4 doors and an 8 1/2 foot bed but I do a lot of wood cutting where I would like the extra bed space and towing capacity would be useful. My parents had a Subaru legacy with a roof rack that they took all over the place and it always handled great in the snow.

My Silverado will get 20 mpg with good road tires on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Subaru outback or forester with a roof rack .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

I have a Silverado that I use for these purposes right now but its old. I'd like an suv or crossover with big luggage space and roof rack. I'd like to get at least mid 20's gas mileage. Honda Element looks like something I may like but I just don't know if its any good or if something else is better.

We have some friends that have and Element. They bought it about 2004, they love it and have taken it all over Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Utah hiking and backpacking. The back seat has a lot of room and there is a surprising amount of cargo space when the seat is down. I think that you'd be very happy with that. They're coming to visit this weekend so I'll ask them some questions about some of the cons to the vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Thanks Snackem. I read reviews on line but I don't know if they're legit.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Subaru outback or forester with a roof rack .
    Do you or someone you know have one of these? I have looked at them on the net but haven't driven one or know anyone who has.

For my job, I drive more than any person in America (and, yes, I'm almost not kidding). I owned an AWD Subaru legacy and Forester for a while, but the problem with them is that 99.9% of the time you don't need the AWD, which lowers their gas mileage HUGELY! Sure, when it is snowy they are great, but most of the time it is not, and with them runing on AWD, their gas mileage sucks.

So, I now own a 2005 Toyota Corolla with 259,000 miles, and gets 37 mpg on the highway. Not as good in snow, but, in Iowa, when it snows bad, everything closes down anyway, so few of us really need AWD or 4WD (little known fact about those who live in snowy states; things close anyway so you don't need those kind of vehicles, unless you live in the country).
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

The newer Subaru have much improved gas mileage. I have the low end 2004 Impreza and drive like an old woman since my commute is lousy with speed traps and still get low 20's mpg. My mother has a new Forester and she is getting over 25 mpg. She doesn't do anything off road or put anything on the roof so, I have driven it and think it is a great vehicle.