Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Left Brain v. Right Brain Optical Illusion

Default Re: Left Brain v. Right Brain Optical Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    It's not an illusion. The dancer is reversing rotation. If you watch the shadow of the feet it suddenly reverses direction. if going counterclockwise, she leads with her left leg raised. Then after 30 secs or so, she'll reverse direction and lead with her right leg raised spinning clockwise.

The direction you first see is whatever happens to be the direction when you first open the link
    I think you're both wrong. The motion of the figure doesn't change, but your perception of the rotation does. The shorter shadow always starts on the right and ends on the left. What changes is your interpretation of which leg's shadow is closer to you.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I have a headache.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    I have a headache.
    Left side or right?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Left side or right?
    Right.

As soon as I saw you had replied to this thread, I knew what you had written before I even read it.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

i have an A in logic right now but i cannot for the life of me see that as moving counter clockwise

I see both.

I've tried all the things people have said through out the thread, but I still see counterclockwise, and just counterclockwise.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I think you're both wrong. The motion of the figure doesn't change, but your perception of the rotation does. The shorter shadow always starts on the right and ends on the left. What changes is your interpretation of which leg's shadow is closer to you.
    Nah nah nah if it was optical, some aspect of the figure would not change in appearance and there is none. When in one direction the arms and legs are in one position, when it flips, the body parts reverse into different positions.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Nah nah nah if it was optical, some aspect of the figure would not change in appearance and there is none. When in one direction the arms and legs are in one position, when it flips, the body parts reverse into different positions.
    Then how do you explain the people who can only see one direction, and always the same direction, no matter how hard they try? If it did indeed simply change directions as you claim, it wouldn't really be a brain testing optical illusion and wouldn't be part of that website. But that's not what I base my opinion on - I base it on careful scrutiny of the figure (not an unpleasant task, I might add ).

Think about it. If you look at a silhouette of a person standing facing to your right with both arms held out in front of it, and one arm is raised and the other is lowered, you can't tell which arm is raised or lowered. If you perceive the raised arm as closer to you, then it's the right arm; if you perceive the raised arm as further away from you, then it's the left arm. The figure hasn't changed, or even moved, but you can see the raised arm as either right or left. That's what is happening with the spinning lady.
    Last edited by Spider; 10-26-2007 at 12:21 PM.