Thread: Tooth Whitening Products Teeth Whitening Kits: Harmful?

Default Tooth Whitening Products Teeth Whitening Kits: Harmful?

Study Shows Tooth Whitening Kits are Dangerous.. I'm assuming they mean the ones for sale over the internet, not "Crest White Strips"..

Do-it-yourself teeth-whitening kits contained illegally-high levels of a bleach used in hair dye, the Trading Standards Institute (TSI) has warned.
    Tests carried out on 20 products showed 18 of them had hydrogen peroxide levels above the legal limits. The bleaching agent can aggravate gum disease and even cause chemical burns to the mouth in some cases.

One teeth-whitening kit contained 230 times the legally permitted level of the bleaching agent, Trading Standards officers found. People trying to achieve a Hollywood-white smile should consult their dentist before trying to use the kits at home, Trading Standards warned. TSI chief executive Ron Gainsford said some DIY teeth whitening kits cost as little as £14 to buy.

"Our tests found high levels of hydrogen peroxide, which can aggravate gum disease and cause sensitive teeth - or even chemical burns to the mouth," he warned. "We strongly recommend that anyone considering having their teeth whitened cosmetically should consult a qualified dentist."

Trading Standards officers across central England tested 16 teeth-whitening kits available in shops and over the internet. Only two of these contained hydrogen peroxide within the permitted 0.1% level for use by anyone other than qualified dentists. The rest had between 0.24% to 23.8% of the bleaching agent.

In a separate study, Hertfordshire Trading Standards sampled another four teeth-whitening products bought over the internet from UK suppliers. All of them contained illegally-high levels of the bleaching agent, with one product containing 7.3%.

Trading Standards officers are contacting the manufacturers and suppliers of all products containing too much hydrogen peroxide to get them pulled from sale. Further investigations are continuing.

The only two products which passed the tests were Boots Expert Teeth Whitening Programme and the Brilliant Tooth Whitening System, distributed by Brilliant Products. Tests were carried out on teeth-whitening kits and not on whitening toothpastes or polishes.

Default Re: Tooth Whitening Products Teeth Whitening Kits: Harmful?

The over-the-counter whitening strips are safe, but not that effective. The bleach that your dentist gives you to take home, put in custom made trays, and leave in your mouth for a designated period of time are the safest with good results. The one-visit in-office bleaching systems are very effective, but you can't control how much whitening you get, they often cause tooth sensitivity, and they're more expensive.

I don't know anything about the products in the article above, but I don't doubt that the findings are accurate.

Dr. Spider
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Olympic Champ

Spider, do you happen to know the life of the bleach the dentist gives you to take home? I have some that's been in my fridge probably close to two years, and I don't know if it's still safe to use.

Yeah, the article came from the UK, but I've seen a lot of these kits for sale on e-commerce shops that may be bundled into that market. I wonder if legislation will ever control a need for prescription there like they did with Plano (Non-prescription) colored contact lenses? (i.e. halloween contacts need a prescription to purchase legally)

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Spider, do you happen to know the life of the bleach the dentist gives you to take home? I have some that's been in my fridge probably close to two years, and I don't know if it's still safe to use.
    Usually the expiration date is about a year from when he got it. It's probably safe to use, but won't be as effective, and may not even have any whitening ability left.

Sweet... now I can get dental advice here, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    Sweet... now I can get dental advice here, too!
    Would you like to use PayPal or a major credit card?

(just kidding)