Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the most difficult task you've ever accomplished?

Default Re: What is the most difficult task you've ever accomplished?

I've run 3 marathons, but I'd like to think going 55-0 over 4 wrestling seasons in CYO was more impressive!!

I don't know if this really fits the category, but detassling sure was hard (aka sucked ass). Especially my first year when I was about 5 feet tall.

Maybe getting down to 103 my senior year. At my heaviest I was probably 126 preseason. Those were the days.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

most difficult task?

living with, then leaving my sons mother. the living with part was hard enough but leaving her resulted in two of the most stressful and painful years of my life, but I accomplished living through her wrath
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com

teaching my daughter to drive on so. cal freeways.
    but then again, i may be retarded

Keeping three kids motivated enough through secondary school and college to A) complete their degrees and B) do it in 4 years.... and the reward, a MS and a JD so far, plus not a single one had less than a 3.30 GPA.

If you don't think that is difficult, look around. Two neighborhood kids that graduated HS with my daughter, one has dropped out though doing 2 classes at night, the other is on the 5 year program after a frivollous first year. Buddy at work - one of his dropped out of Villanova after 2.5 years and $130,000 in tuition, room, board. His other bailed on Marist after 2 years and $90,000. He still hoping the kids wake up and the $220,000 wasn't flushed.

The numbers overall - a 40-45% college drop out rate nationally excluding the Ivies.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Hardest thing mentally- When I found out my youngest son had testicular cancer. He was a year old when it happened. It was the week I was taking our team to Jr State and my wife noticed our son had a swollen testical. She thought maybe the cord was strangulated(which is common in babies). However, I called her on the way home from the doctors while I was at work and she broke the news. I went home early and broke down in tears in the office.

The doc scheduled surgery the following Monday. My wife and I felt I shouldn't cancel the wrestling trip since I was the only person taking them and we had planned it all year. So, I took them to the tournament and I coached my first Greco state finalist. However, it was hard to enjoy and I never told the kids about it.

He had surgery and we were home several hours later and he was out and about like nothing happened. The doc does a biopsy and says it was a rare form of testicular cancer and had to completely remove it. The good news was that the form of cancer he got rarely spread, but having to wait 6 months to find out from his follow ups that he was most likely cancer free was not enjoyable. A yr later, the doc assured us that his tests showed it was gone.

While it turned out to not be as bad as we thought, it still was probably the hardest thing I've ever dealt with. Don't know if that is actually an accomplishment though.

Only thing that compares was dealing with my grandma and grandpa dying within 3months of each other last wrestling season.

Sorry if I'm being Debbie Downer here.
    Oregon Wrestling Forum www.theowf.net/the_owf

Don't you know who I am? I'm the JUGGERNAUT BIATCH!!

As far as accomplishments go, I've never ran a marathon or competed in a triathalon, but I have done something that may seem rather quite lame that was actually quite difficult to do.

I used to work for a WalMart DC and was an orderfiller. Basically, I slapped labels on various cases of freight that weighed anywhere from 5lbs-100lbs and threw them on a conveyor belt. Now keep in mind, at the time at still only weighed about 135-140lbs but was in my mid 20's. Anyways, I once threw roughly 8200 cases of freight over a 12hr day. Considering our production goals were only to throw 3800 cases over 12hrs and I threw nearly 1000 cases of anti-freeze over that time(about 80lbs a case) and several hundred 27 inch TV(old style not flat screens), this was quite a big deal. You can also add in that we once figured out that over the course of a day, we walked an average of 10miles a day at work.

While not a huge accomplishment, my bad back seems to think it was and I know not many people ever did that when I worked there over 6yrs.
    Oregon Wrestling Forum www.theowf.net/the_owf

Don't you know who I am? I'm the JUGGERNAUT BIATCH!!

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Keeping three kids motivated enough through secondary school and college to A) complete their degrees and B) do it in 4 years.... and the reward, a MS and a JD so far, plus not a single one had less than a 3.30 GPA.

If you don't think that is difficult, look around. Two neighborhood kids that graduated HS with my daughter, one has dropped out though doing 2 classes at night, the other is on the 5 year program after a frivollous first year. Buddy at work - one of his dropped out of Villanova after 2.5 years and $130,000 in tuition, room, board. His other bailed on Marist after 2 years and $90,000. He still hoping the kids wake up and the $220,000 wasn't flushed.

The numbers overall - a 40-45% college drop out rate nationally excluding the Ivies.
    i hear where you are coming from. my oldest is 2yr at UCLA and doing great. a whole lot of hard work and tears (hers) went into finishing HS number 1 in her class and now doing excellent college work. but teaching her to drive around here was my most difficult task so far. now my youngest just got her permit. i still have some hair left, i can teach another one to drive and get her through the UC of her choice and i have completed one of my life goals, putting my kids through college!
    but then again, i may be retarded

Physically: Completing the Cleveland Revco Marathon with a broken toe (incurrred 2 days before the marathon) Didn't want to let the training go to waste.

Mentally: Preaching my brother's funeral in April of 2007. He was 23 and died 8 months after being diagnosed with "Lou Gehrig's disease". (aka: ALS)
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...