Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this make any sense to anyone?

Default Re: Does this make any sense to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    You said it better than me. That's what I meant by no common sense. Doesn't matter what you see around you, you have to be able to judge what's right and wrong. People today don't seem to be able to do that. Everything is just black and white, like you said.
    Just posted on the other thread. Funny, sometimes we agree completely and sometimes we're polar opposites.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Just as I suspected that we weren't getting the entire story, and only the emotional story.

This story, from a "biased" source ironically, pernts out that it is Texas law and teachers are mandated to follow certain procedures regarding that law. That was a pretty big piece that the first story conveniently left out!

Diane Tran, Honor Student At Texas High School, Jailed For Missing School

The school district policy regarding truancy, including the legal proceeding and what teachers are to follow.
    Willis Independent School District
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

I'm fine with the school referring it to juvenile court. I wish there was some way they could have gotten personally involved to avoid it. But once the case came before the court, the court could have looked at the mitigating circumstances which is where I have my problem.

Are you advocating the court treat this girl the exact same way the court would treat a truant who is failing classes and missing school to sling dope? You advocate mandatory sentences? When the court hands down judgements they usualky have discretion based on the circumstances, especially when it comes to juveniles.

I really must be missing something here...or maybe I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Unfortuately, the powers that be often see things as black or white, and don't have the desire or intelligence to consider the extenuating circumstances of every situation.
    Mandatory sentences are in part what I was referring to.

I'm sorry Spider I meant to make a supporting connection between mandatory sentencing and your point on courts' seeing things in black and white terms. I forgot. And for the record I agree with your comments. As always they are reasonable.

I never thought I'd see the day that two career LE professionals are arguing the system let this criminal (truant ) down while hang 'em high BanBasket argues all criminals should be sentenced the same. (Tongue in cheek ban.)

Never any apology necesary, pm, but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pm01 View Post
    I'm fine with the school referring it to juvenile court. I wish there was some way they could have gotten personally involved to avoid it. But once the case came before the court, the court could have looked at the mitigating circumstances which is where I have my problem.

Are you advocating the court treat this girl the exact same way the court would treat a truant who is failing classes and missing school to sling dope? You advocate mandatory sentences? When the court hands down judgements they usualky have discretion based on the circumstances, especially when it comes to juveniles.

I really must be missing something here...or maybe I'm not.
    I'm not sure that I'm advocating anything. I'm simply pernting out that there is likely more to the story than the emotional story designed to make people angry, which is exactly what I discovered.

I will say this: in legal proceedings (and why I asked all of you my initial question) I "advocate" two things: (1) following of the rule of law and (2) closely related to #1 that everyone get equal treatment under the law. I am fairly certain that the kid who is truant and not as "upstanding" as this girl is wouldn't get a break in the system, and this girl shouldn't either. Fair is fair under the law, right? No one should get better treatment under the law, right?

Quote Originally Posted by pm01 View Post
    BanBasket argues all criminals should be sentenced the same. (Tongue in cheek ban.)
    ABSOLUTELY! To not do so leads to the system that we've had for centuries, whereby social class, race, ethnicity, age, etc. becomes a mitigating factor in how one is sentenced in the system.

Equal and fair before the law for all. That's my strange motto.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    Equal and fair before the law for all. That's my strange motto.
    Equal and fair aren't always the same thing. If they were, you wouldn't need to include both in your strange motto.

I'm being sarcastic, but what I mean to say is that consideration or extenuating circumstances may lead to fairer justice, although it might not appear to be strictly equal.