Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread: Does this make any sense to anyone?

Default Re: Does this make any sense to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    BB is not worth getting into a disagreement with ,IMO.
    And that's why you keep the disagreements going, and do searches for my comments on other websites, eh?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Ban I have discussed this issue with two educators I know who each have more than thirty years experience teaching. Both individuals are considered excellent teachers and both thought the girl deserved more help than discipline considering the circumstances. now I don't expect you to care, but I just think it's funny how you keep bringing up your experience i'm education add a plus for your argument. In this case two people with sixty plus years of experience believe you at mistaken. Also I have coached for more than ten years and when kids miss or are late to practice I find out why and then decide on punishment. One of or kids mothers was dying of cancer this year, so needless to say I didn't make him run everyone he missed.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Ban I have discussed this issue with two educators I know who each have more than thirty years experience teaching. Both individuals are considered excellent teachers and both thought the girl deserved more help than discipline considering the circumstances. now I don't expect you to care, but I just think it's funny how you keep bringing up your experience i'm education add a plus for your argument. In this case two people with sixty plus years of experience believe you at mistaken. Also I have coached for more than ten years and when kids miss or are late to practice I find out why and then decide on punishment. One of or kids mothers was dying of cancer this year, so needless to say I didn't make him run everyone he missed.
    Strangely enough, I've known people who've taught longer than they have who do things just as I do it. Hmm...wonder who's right?

As I said earlier today, thank God that we don't use a cookie cutter approach to edurcation! Thank God that edurcators have the freedom to do what they think is best for their classes and their students. What I'm doing is best for my classes and my students. Thank God I'm given the freedom to do that.

Ask them, as well as yourself, this question: what is unfair about my policies, as described to Lkwdsteve today? If you find unfairness in them, then I will end this tedious "discussion" by referring you to my supervisor/Dean and you can make your argument to him that I am doing things unjustly and to not have my contract renewed for the 2012-2013 year. Sound fair?
    Last edited by ban basketball; 06-07-2012 at 04:16 PM.

"If you find unfairness in them, then I will end this tedious "discussion" by referring you to my supervisor/Dean and you can make your argument to him that I am doing things unjustly and to not have my contract renewed for the 2012-2013 year. Sound fair?"

Nope, doesn't sound fair at all. Your contract and overall standing at work should not, and (I'm pretty confident) WILL NOT, revolve around your opinion about how a situation, involving a high school girl far away, should be dealt with.
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

Ban,

There's a bit of a disconnect it seems to me. Like we're comparing apples to oranges.

This isn't about you and your 16 years (I guess) as a college educator. It's about the circumstances involving this high school girl.

Just as it is wrong for others to put you down, instead of your opinion on this situation, it is equally wrong for you to cite your credentials as evidence that your opinion on THIS situation is correct, since it is the case that others with similar credentials disagree with you.

It follows then, that personal educational credentials are not the determinant of whose opinion should be followed regarding the correct course of action in this situation.

If the ancienct Greeks were around and could follow this, you might find Plato in your corner, but Aristotle opposed.

We agree to disagree.

Steve
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by LkwdSteve View Post
    Ban,

There's a bit of a disconnect it seems to me. Like we're comparing apples to oranges.

This isn't about you and your 16 years (I guess) as a college educator. It's about the circumstances involving this high school girl.

Just as it is wrong for others to put you down, instead of your opinion on this situation, it is equally wrong for you to cite your credentials as evidence that your opinion on THIS situation is correct, since it is the case that others with similar credentials disagree with you.

It follows then, that personal educational credentials are not the determinant of whose opinion should be followed regarding the correct course of action in this situation.

If the ancienct Greeks were around and could follow this, you might find Plato in your corner, but Aristotle opposed.

We agree to disagree.

Steve
    Just to reply to your comment, the topic turned to education and what I would do as an educator. I then went onto point out how I have done it as an educator for 12 (or 16, depending on context) years and how that relates to our discussion.

If I gave the impression that I was "holier than thou with you, I apologize, as I was only trying to clarify how I do things, and that education is a different animal from other "industries." That's why educators cringe when people suggest that education should be run like a business!

Anyway, and in closing, I appreciate discussing this with you. You're very reasonable, don't resort to insults, and I can debate with a folk like you all day.

Not to leave out Flop the Nuts, who was also reasonable this whole thread.
    Last edited by ban basketball; 06-08-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LkwdSteve View Post
    "If you find unfairness in them, then I will end this tedious "discussion" by referring you to my supervisor/Dean and you can make your argument to him that I am doing things unjustly and to not have my contract renewed for the 2012-2013 year. Sound fair?"

Nope, doesn't sound fair at all. Your contract and overall standing at work should not, and (I'm pretty confident) WILL NOT, revolve around your opinion about how a situation, involving a high school girl far away, should be dealt with.
    True, but he is questioning my policies and how I "run my operation" in my classroom, implying that I am not fair and reasonable.

If so, then I do invite him to wage his complaint all the way from Arizona (or Colorado?) to my boss here in Iowa. I make the offer because I know my boss and I KNOW the fun that he would have with a call like that! HE! HE!

Well Ban I had no idea you were a college educator so that does change it a bit, you deal with adults and thus makes your experience null in this case when we are talking about kids. I still think you are unreasonable for not taking into account circumstances that might be beyond your students control. Also I dont know where you thought I said I was for a rigid cookie cutter approach to education, if anything I have said the opposite most emphatically. If you recall I was saying that teachers need to use discretion when it comes punishment, that to me indicates flexibility.

In the case of a high school child who has to take on adult issues I believe that lenience is the best option when all of the factors are considered. She is a child not an adult.