Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Does this make any sense to anyone?

Default Re: Does this make any sense to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by LkwdSteve View Post
    "to refer such cases to our counseling/student services department."

Exactly who I had in mind. How should they advise her, in your opinion as an educator?
    Well, I'm not a counselor or a social worker, I never play one on the internet, BUT I did work two years as a social worker, albeit the worst social worker in U.S. history!

Quite simply, I would advise her to do what she has to do to get to school on time. Obviously, failure to do so requires the school to have to turn her case over to the courts. Yes, one court will give her a break once but not likely twice.

To me, she has no other option other than to make sure to get to school on time.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Wow. Just read this thread.

Judges should judge and excercise good JUDGEMENT while doing so.

If there are any educators on here, I have a question for you.

If this girl had come to you for counselling/advise, how would you have advised her?

Apply to the government (state or federal) for financial asistance, thus allowing the need for two jobs to disappear, and thus allowing pristine classroom attendance. Would that be the advice of educators on here?
    This is an excellent question. The last time I taught it was EH kids and ALL of them had major problems , yet were already assigned case workers and therapists and our classroom was isolated and self contained .
    In this girl's situation the only way i'd go to social services would be if I had a great relationship with the SW.IF no financial assistance were available the SW would have no alternative than to break up the home and that is rarely a good thing .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Yes, the question being begged is the "legal guardian" situation.

Further, in my community and many neighboring ones, including the City of Cleveland itself, the parents are legally responsible for the child's attendance at school. It's THEY who are held accountable and end up in court (generally speaking).
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

"Quite simply, I would advise her to do what she has to do to get to school on time. Obviously, failure to do so requires the school to have to turn her case over to the courts. Yes, one court will give her a break once but not likely twice. To me, she has no other option other than to make sure to get to school on time."

A great sin to you, isn't to me.

She probably doesn't need to attend all of her high school classes regularly to eventually make excellent marks in college. Hell, my senior year I had almost a 4.0 and missed about 25 percent of my classes. I used the excuse of being the sports editor of our school paper, and since we published weekly, it was allowed. This girl has even a better excuse. It's the scores on both local and national tests that should count.

Or perhaps she should home school, and save herself the aggravation of folks who think her sins rate on the ten-commandment-scale somewhere between murder and theft. Or perhaps it falls between lying and lusting after others' mates.

"Quite simply, I would advise her to do what she has to do to get to school on time. Obviously, failure to do so requires the school to have to turn her case over to the courts. Yes, one court will give her a break once but not likely twice. To me, she has no other option other than to make sure to get to school on time."

A great sin to you, isn't to me.

She probably doesn't need to attend all of her high school classes regularly to eventually make excellent marks in college. Hell, my senior year I had almost a 4.0 and missed about 25 percent of my classes. I used the excuse of being the sports editor of our school paper, and since we published weekly, it was allowed. This girl has even a better excuse. It's the scores on both local and national tests that should count.

Or perhaps she should home school, and save herself the aggravation of folks who think her sins rate on the ten-commandment-scale somewhere between murder and theft. Or perhaps it falls between lying and lusting after others' mates.
    Throughout the course of your sarcasm and your chastization of my following policy (keep in mind, as educators that is our FIRST priority), you apparently forgot to read the school district's (and legal policy) that must be followed.

Hence, why I said that we only have one option: she has to get to school on time; nothing else matters. And, yes, she DOES need to get to school, first and foremost.
    Willis Independent School District

Further, in my community and many neighboring ones, including the City of Cleveland itself, the parents are legally responsible for the child's attendance at school. It's THEY who are held accountable and end up in court (generally speaking).
    That was also the case in this school district in Texas. However, her parents were AWOL.

Sarcasm? My post was dead serious.

And what is the FIRST priority of educators?

Being AWOL is an acceptable excuse????

GO FIND THE PARENTS and hold them to account. Instead authorities go after the easy target who was left holding the ball by her parents..............

Sarcasm? My post was dead serious.

And what is the FIRST priority of educators?
    Clearly the priority of an educator is to make sure that kids not that rules are rules and there are no such thing a exceptions to said rules nor are there any circumstances in which the rules might be bent for any individual and that all violations of the rules will be punished to the strictest penalty regardless of the any circumstance surrounding the violation.

If your late to class because you were in a car accident then that's just to bad, you got detention.

If you to under go chemo in the middle of a semester, you had better get your radioactive ass to class or Ban will fail, in accordance with the attendance policy.

At least this is what I have learned from reading Ban's posts.