Thread: Navy jet crashes into Virginia Beach apartments; 7 hurt

Default Navy jet crashes into Virginia Beach apartments; 7 hurt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g-cvr-120406-crashed-jet-1030a.380;380;7;70.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	3041
    U.S. News - Navy jet crashes into Virginia Beach apartments; 7 hurt

Updated at 9:45 p.m. ET: Emergency crews extinguished fires and were combing rubble at a cluster of apartments in Virginia Beach, Va., Friday after a Navy F/A-18 jet crashed into the complex, destroying two buildings and damaging several others, authorities and witnesses said.
    This occurred about 30 miles east of me. I was going to check out a university about 3 miles away from this when I heard about it.

Interview on a local TV station: One of the pilots that ejected just a fraction of a second before the crash had his parachute get caught on one of the apartment buildings. He was helped by residents from the apartment complex. They asked him if he was okay. His reply, "I am sorry I ruined your home."
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

Default Re: Navy jet crashes into Virginia Beach apartments; 7 hurt

This happened when I was in high School as well. a jet was trying to land at WEIR COOK airport and ran out of fuel. I grew up around the airport and in the late 60's Indianapolis finally had to sue the Air force as they were constantly breaking the sound Barrier and tearing stuff up. I remember my grandma sitting in the living room crying as she was holding her collection (now broken) of Hummels ?
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    I grew up around the airport and in the late 60's Indianapolis finally had to sue the Air force as they were constantly breaking the sound Barrier and tearing stuff up.
    Let me start by my startilization that airplanes were even invented then (Wow! Did anyone else notice that I made up my own word while also getting a dig in on Payton? I will continue to type with one hand because the other is patting my back.)

Seriously, I have never been around something breaking the sound barrier. How does that tear stuff up? And how far away were you and your grandma? How far away are the effects?

Kinda like a mini Earth quake. Glass shatters and the entire house used to shake . There is a reason it's called a sonic boom.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.